Home Open Account Help 368 users online

Nostalgia & History > SP Coast; Strike 9-28-1978, Parts 2 & 3 Scanner Audio

Date: 04/11/18 20:23
SP Coast; Strike 9-28-1978, Parts 2 & 3 Scanner Audio
Author: espee51

In Part 2, SP Coast Dispatcher Mike Chavez is speaking to Conductor Arnson on SP First 832. After discussion regarding the reliability of the motive power, which happened to improve as the discussion evolved, the dispatcher gives a train order via radio to keep the freight ahead of Train Number 12 (Coast Starlight 11). Number 12, with Engine 533 (SDP40F), with Engineer McCarthy was in Santa Barbara a couple of hours after First 832, but with a meet or two along the way delaying First 832, the gap was beginning to close between the two trains. The train order keeps First 832 ahead of 12 to Burbank Junction. Mention was also made that Mr. McCarthy would NOT have to take his train to LA because Engineer Krueger would be taking Number 12 from Santa Barbara to LA. Trains 12 and 13 did not run on the 29th or the 30th, and my notes indicate that Mr. McCarthy ran Number 13 from Santa Barbara to SLO on October 1.

Part 3, which isn't all that exciting, has continued information on First 832, Number 12 and one or two westbound SP freights from the Dispatcher. Then we switch to the next day, 9/29 with a brief SP Santa Ynez PBX phone conversation between Trainmaster Bill Giles and Assistant Trainmaster George Todd. Sounds like they knew we were listening, so they decided they'd wait to talk on the land-line rather than the radio-telephone. Next there is some brief conversation on the SP Oat Mountain PBX about personnel returning to work at SP LA Taylor Yard, and then between SP LA Division Engineer Mike McGinley and various personnel regarding track equipment blocking a track into the Kaiser yard. With the strike over and things starting back up, he wanted to make sure no trains operated into the plant until the equipment could be moved.

espee51
Nick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/18 20:38 by espee51.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 04/12/18 08:42
Re: SP Coast; Strike 9-28-1978, Parts 2 & 3 Scanner Audio
Author: dbo2

I appreciate your ongoing audio uploads. Four decades ago you probably never believed a platform such as this would exist to share with the world.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/13/18 14:18
Author: spnudge

For some reason, it won't play on my computer. The others were fine, this one just sits. Any ideas out there?

Nudge

Date: 04/14/18 08:33
Author: espee51

Don’t know what to tell you, Nudge. As far as I know, I’ve created all the “videos” the same way, so I’m not sure why these ones aren’t working for you.

espee51
Nick

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.3307 seconds