Home Open Account Help 191 users online

Nostalgia & History > Rock Island in the Fog.

Date: 04/13/18 08:31
Rock Island in the Fog.
Author: ACL3042

I photographed this meet at Peabody, Kansas on January 13, 1974. It was foggy this morning. The train is #26 who was meeting a south bound train.

Image 1 shows the head brakeman waving to the south bound crew. I wanted an human element in the photo.The track on the left was the elevator track. The next track over is the main line where the train is. The track on the far right was the siding. I did not photographed the south bound train, as I wanted to drive north of Peabody for another shot of #26.

Image 2 shows the train north of Peabody.

The GE units were fairly new. They give a little color to a drab winter day.

Rex Press-Sunrise, Wyoming.

Date: 04/13/18 11:51
Re: Rock Island in the Fog.
Author: Bob3985

Nice photos Rex. Yes, those Uboats were new at that time.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 04/13/18 12:41
Author: santafe199

I've been both a railroader & a railfan in fog like that. Railfan is better!!!

Date: 04/13/18 13:41
Author: retcsxcfm

Photo one is Great!

Uncle Joe
Seffner,Fl.

Date: 04/13/18 15:45
Author: UP951West

These are very nice images with the color shades in the fog. Thanks for sharing.

Date: 04/13/18 15:48
Author: rrman6

Bob3985 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice photos Rex. Yes, those Uboats were new at
> that time.

Bob, living on the GSL in the early 60's, I recall the GE/Alco U-boats then were new and still in their familiar maroon, prior to the yellow/red scheme. I recall a string of them being dragged eastward one evening following their derailment near Logan, NM after impacting a CAT dozer on a low-boy trailer that got hung on a "high" crossing. They were all maroon and the electrical arcing from some traction motor cables did a night show as it passed through Haviland that late evening. When the RI switched to the latter scheme, I welcomed it as it was so bright and beautiful.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0467 seconds