Home Open Account Help 366 users online

Nostalgia & History > RF&P Rambles

Date: 04/24/18 23:18
RF&P Rambles
Author: dwatry

More scans from when I was 15 years old, riding around the DC area on my bicycle to take photos. These shots on the RF&P.

1) Southbound Silver Star departing Alexandria station (back around the curve) in August 1971. This is an Amtrak train but still looks like the old RF&P/SCL train, even down to the E-8/E-7 power combo.

2) It's Thanksgiving Day 1971, very cold, and the RF&P is still running football specials from Richmond to Washington for Redskin's games. Here's a NB football special running as the second section of the Florida Special through Lorton VA. Interesting collection of passenger equipment including RF&P coaches, some C&O cars, and others.

3) Southbound Silver Star in Alexandria in December 1971, passing the extensive Fruit Grower's Express shops (now gone).

Date: 04/25/18 03:01
Re: RF&P Rambles
Author: jeff56

Nice pictures. I was also 15 in 1971 and had great pleasure/experiences
riding the Silver Star; Silver Meteor from NJ to FL before/after 1971.

Date: 04/25/18 14:34
Author: krm152

Really nice photos.
Wish I had started taking photos when I was 15.
ALLEN

Date: 04/25/18 16:45
Author: dwatry

I actually started when I was about 12 with a Brownie box camera. Those shots aren't very good! But just for fun I may scan some of those and post, with some HEAVY editing and cropping!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0337 seconds