Home Open Account Help 354 users online

Nostalgia & History > Cocktail Menu Request

Date: 04/25/18 15:16
Cocktail Menu Request
Author: SCUfoamer

Hello Nostalgia & History - I am currently working on a bar program that focuses on historical cocktails, most pre-prohibition and into the late 60s. I always enjoy seeing the #midweekmenu posts and wondered if anyone had a collection of cocktail menus, recipes, or drink lists from trains of the bygone era. Thanks!

Date: 04/25/18 16:00
Re: Cocktail Menu Request
Author: njmidland

For the recipes, I recommend "Drinks" by Jacques Straub.

The sheer number of recipes herein makes this the first recorded example of what they used to call a "wad o' drinks" book: the quick reference collection of drink recipes and nothing but drink recipes. ... "Drinks" was intended as a pocket reference for bartenders and was on board every Pullman car that served liquor until Prohibition rendered its 700 drink recipes legally obsolete.

Originals can sell for $200 and up. There was a reproduction of the 1914 version done about 10 years ago, but it too is now out of print. I think the Phoebe Snow Company might still have it for sale.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0302 seconds