Home Open Account Help 347 users online

Nostalgia & History > They were Alcos to me...Canadian MLWS of CN, Via, and CP 1982

Date: 05/25/18 11:28
They were Alcos to me...Canadian MLWS of CN, Via, and CP 1982
Author: Roadjob

As Alco worked its way out of the American rail scene, our neighbor to the north was still heavily vest in the product. Still in my Conrail doldrums and between trips out west, I drove north to get something different. Eastern Canada at that time surely fit the bill.

top... westbound between Montreal and Toronto

middle...westbound in the Toronto are

bottom... The best spot of all...Spadina shops in Toronto. This was an Alco paradise! I believe it was a CN facility and Via also used it, or it may have been Via controlled at that point; not sure. Always lots of MLW power around, a great roundhouse, and super friendly personnel. A bridge went right over the shop area, and you could easily spend a day here. Today it is a baseball stadium.

Date: 05/25/18 12:28
Re: They were Alcos to me...Canadian MLWS of CN, Via, and CP 1982
Author: gcm

Great shots.
I agree about Spadina.
I was there in 1980 and thought I was back in the 50's-60's with all the Alcos, F units, RDC, steam heated equipment and kerosene switch lamps!
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/18 12:30 by gcm.

Date: 05/25/18 12:34
Author: BoilingMan

'love the FP's!
SR

Date: 05/25/18 13:33
Author: TCnR

Very worthy road trip.
t4p.

Date: 05/26/18 03:35
Author: kgmontreal

First shot is westbound approaching Dorval, Quebec.

KG

Date: 05/26/18 21:50
Author: ATSFSuperChief

First shot the other jointed rail track looks like an old switch or crossing has been partially removed. Just looks weird like some rails, curves, diamonds not there anymore.

SuperChiefDon

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0355 seconds