Home Open Account Help 227 users online

Nostalgia & History > Hyndman Tower, October 1991

Date: 06/13/18 09:56
Hyndman Tower, October 1991
Author: lee_uintah

A westbound mixed freight comes past the Hyndman, PA, tower at 1028 hours on 26 October 1991. There are four CSX engines, two of which are covered wagons. An eastbound train comes down the grade, and our view of it is blocked for awhile by the westbound train. We do not see most of the eastbound train, and the tower operator tells us that the eastbound train had 139 loads and weighed 18,000 tons. Nice!

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 06/13/18 12:13
Re: Hyndman Tower, October 1991
Author: boejoe

Where was the tower located with respect to the T.O. recently discontinued video camera?

Date: 06/13/18 15:03
Author: Skuat

boejoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where was the tower located with respect to the
> T.O. recently discontinued video camera?

The tower was about a 1/2 mile railroad east, compass south of where the camera was. It would have been looking the opposite way of which the camera faced.

Scooter

Date: 06/13/18 19:02
Author: lee_uintah

I made the walk numerous times from the caboose(s) to the Hyndman tower and back, and I always reckoned the distance at more like 1 mile each way. But who cared? Beautiful scenery and trains! When the tower was demolished, local railfans were able to be "gifted" with several parts of the old interlocking mechanisms from the tower. One of the local railfans gave me the "handle" (or lever) to pull for switch 22. It is displayed on my enclosed front porch.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0294 seconds