Home Open Account Help 326 users online

Nostalgia & History > Photoshop question

Date: 06/23/18 14:56
Photoshop question
Author: wigwag

pics deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/18 06:08 by wigwag.

Date: 06/23/18 15:05
Re: Photoshop question
Author: GBW309

I don't use Photoshop but use Photodirector by powerlink.   Photodirector has a section called "Content aware removal" which allows you to remove unwanted objects.  You can also clone any part ot the image so IF you are talented with the program and have the time, you can make huge changes to any given image.

Dave

Date: 06/23/18 15:16
Author: wjpyper

It looks like someone removed the pole. I can't think of any reason that someone would add a pole. They even remembered to remove the shadow. Sometimes people don't. I can see what is probably a glitch/error in the triangle above the sign. Also it looks like they have added a little to the tops of the trees and removed the clouds. Not sure why someone would remove the clouds. The Chamber of Commerce probably asked for the pole to be removed to have a "cleaner" view of the building. Any time that I modify a picture I save the original as a seperate file in case it is needed in its original form.
Bill Pyper
Salem, Oregon

Date: 06/23/18 16:58
Author: santafedan

Look where the horse was blocked by the pole.  Its leg looks odd.  A result of filling in of the surrounding area.

Date: 06/23/18 17:53
Author: Ray_Murphy

There have been artists in the darkroom since the dawn of photography. How do you know the alteration was done in the computer age?

Ray

Date: 06/23/18 19:00
Author: wjpyper

Ray_Murphy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There have been artists in the darkroom since the
> dawn of photography. How do you know the
> alteration was done in the computer age?
>
> Ray

It may have been. I used to do that type of work, airbrush, etc. I was so happy when Photoshop was invented!
Bill Pyper

Date: 06/23/18 19:03
Author: twjurgens

I use Photoshop Elements and have removed poles, wires, birds, and such.  Birds almost always unless they contribute to the photo.  Poles and wires occasionally when removing them will make a cluttered photo better.  I doubt that historians would be concerned about the ones I've removed.

In this particular case, removal seems to make a better photo.

Date: 06/23/18 19:15
Author: EtoinShrdlu

> WHY DOES THE TOP PIC HAVE A UTILITY POLE WHILE THE OTHER DOES NOT? Did someone photoshop it in or did someone photoshop it out?

Back in them days, there was dodging and airbrushing. I also notice the skyline has been changed (ridgeline instead of clouds).

Date: 06/24/18 06:36
Author: jghagen

The photo technology of the day was cumbersome and very expensive. There wouldn't the thousands of photo taken by rail fans if the technology hadn't changed.
That said, photos back then taken with large format view cameras could very well have taken that shot with no problem. And, if it was a contact print from glass plate negative, it would be way better than any film or digital photos of today.

Date: 06/24/18 10:04
Author: SCAX3401

Photos have been "photoshopped", "retouched" or whatever you what to call it forever.  There was a advertisement for the Denver Zephyr by the Burlington Route which shows the train passing thru a green rural area with craggy mountians in the background with a two horses and riders in the foreground watching the train pass.  Each element was from a seperate photo.  The mountains were from Wyoming, the train and rural background from Illinois or Iowa and the horse and rider from somewhere else.  This stuff has been going on since photos were first made.

Date: 06/24/18 12:14
Author: BuddPullman

With reference to the DZ publicity photo, I have heard the mountains are from Marias Pass on the GN, I can't confirm that.

The train, supposed to be the new "Denver Zephyr", is made up of cars from the Chicago coach yard, borrowing from the "Kansas City Zephyr" Vista Dome Parlor Obs, "American Royal Zephyr/Blackhawk" sleepers with a couple of delivered Denver Zephyr cars added in.  I understand the photo was staged between Chicago and Aurora.  Regardless, it is a photo I enjoy looking at!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0569 seconds