Home Open Account Help 369 users online

Nostalgia & History > CNW frt with PLM SD,s What is the PLM?

Date: 07/09/18 08:19
CNW frt with PLM SD,s What is the PLM?
Author: slacks

In the early 1990,s at the Clinton IA depot, caught this eb to CHI with a brace of fresh painted SD-40,s in a nice blue stripped scheme. Some look to be ex-UP but not sure. Never saw them again; what doe,s PLM stand for?

Date: 07/09/18 08:41
Re: CNW frt with PLM SD,s What is the PLM?
Author: sp8192

Preferred Lease Management.

https://www.thedieselshop.us/PLM.HTML

Date: 07/09/18 08:45
Author: pal77

PLM official name was PLM International.  I think basically a leasing company whose assets are now part of CIT.  As for those SD40's ten of them(dont recall numbers) were headed to the then bankrupt D&H which was still under directed operation by NYSW until later that year.  I dont think they performed very well I remember seeing a string of them OOS in East Binghamton NY in the early 90's . 

Date: 07/09/18 10:29
Author: march_hare

When they were on the D&H, crews told me that they had been nicely painted, but that little mechanical rehab had been done.  And a matched set really did look pretty good.  The ex-UP machines (GATX, if memory serves, and eventually bought outright by CP) seemed to hold up better.

Interesting to note one PLM unit with no dynamic brakes.  I don't think I ever saw one on the D&H that lacked dynamics.

Date: 07/09/18 11:05
Author: tgcostello

I photographed a PLM unit in Bow NH in the early 90's.  Bow is ~60 miles north of Boston, and was location for a coal fired power plant.  At the time it appeared that supply contracts were split between Conrail and the D&H.  D&H units typically appeared as CP SD40-2s.  I also observed CSX and GATX power on some of these trains.  They were interesting times.

Tim Costello

Date: 07/09/18 12:05
Author: perklocal

I used to call it "Please Lease Me!"

Date: 07/09/18 17:07
Author: rev66vette

perklocal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I used to call it "Please Lease Me!"

Maintenance personnel cried "Please LOSE me!" :)

Date: 07/09/18 19:48
Author: ALCO630

Atleast one D&H crew around Allentown called them "Presently Loosing Money" units.  I also see the 3041 in the line. that was an SD40X with the flared radiators. 

Doug Wetherhold
Macungie, PA

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/18 19:52 by ALCO630.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2318 seconds