Home Open Account Help 181 users online

Nostalgia & History > NKP 759

Date: 07/11/18 02:57
NKP 759
Author: refarkas

It is early on the morning of September 8, 1968 in Conneaut, Ohio, and NKP 759 will soon pull its first excursion since being rebuilt. As I recall, the trip was from Conneaut to Buffalo, New York and back.
Bob

Date: 07/11/18 04:39
Re: NKP 759
Author: wcamp1472

As I recall, the engine was being skillfully operated by NKP regular crew, the three people at the combine look to be: a young Bob Bartone ( in short sleeves), part of loco restoration crew ( dad was carman in the shops), in the middle is Joe Karal, NKP Boilermaker,
( who had completed the August, 1958 rebuild of 759 —at Conneaut—-), next to Joe is unidentified. The 2 gents coming around the front of 759 are unknown to me.

The crew was about to make up the excursion train, with the combine next to the engine...

Yes, it was Conneaut to Buffalo and return... On a beautiful sunny, September morning...
50 years ago... where did the time go? Wowsers!!!

It’s remarkable what this great loco set in motion for the future of mainline steam.

Mostly due to efforts of Ross Rowland, Jr., President & CEO of the High Iron Co., and Robert Claytor, of the N&W Ry.
Bob Claytor’s strong support of our hard work cannot be overemphasized.

W.

( While you’re at the Roanoke Trans. Museum, pause in front of the full-size photo of Bob & Graham Claytor, standing by the cab of 759,
taken that Fall of 1968... possibly at Roanoke..

While paused, contemplate the Giant Role these two brothers played in operating steam over their railroads —- in the face of strident objections of the insurance, legal, and the operating departments...

Today, Business leaders of these brothers’ great capabilities have virtually disappeared, replaced by risk averse lawyers and corporate boards).

Posted from iPhone

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/18 05:24 by wcamp1472.

Date: 07/11/18 05:27
Author: cornerfieldhobby

Bob, this is absolutely fantastic. This photo is so much history. Plus I love the switch lanterns.

Date: 07/11/18 15:21
Author: krm152

WOW!  HOW GREAT!
Thanks for recording his historic scene.
ALLEN

Date: 07/11/18 21:03
Author: tomstp

Nice shot.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.037 seconds