Home Open Account Help 366 users online

Nostalgia & History > Reading at Newberry PA

Date: 07/20/18 11:49
Reading at Newberry PA
Author: nydepot

Where was the Reading's engine servicing facility at Newberry? I know there was a sand tower and fuel tanks. I assume it's gone now.

A lat/long or google maps link would be helpful. Thanks.

Charles

Date: 07/20/18 13:34
Re: Reading at Newberry PA
Author: JimBaker

Would a look at 'Historic Aerials.com' be of any help?
They don't cover all areas though.

James R.(Jim) Baker
Whittier, CA

Date: 07/20/18 16:06
Author: rdgrailfan

Doing this from Memory, checking my old box photos for reference to Newbery Junction, see what I can turn up
Newberry Junction is about 2 miles above Williamsport.
The primary reason for its existince was the interchange traffic with the NYC ( in PA) until 1976(?) when the interchange traffic was shifted to Harrisburgh PA due the PennCentral merger.
Williamsport had both the PRR and Reading Company service. It was possible to see both NYC and Reading steam in the service area.
Newberry Junction did have steam  engine service facilities including a wooden two stall "long" building for repairs and service, Major repairs were Gordon and Reading shops (from Memory).  A stub wye was included near the engine service area
It also had a car repair rip track for freigh car repairs and it was busy late in life!
After the exit of steam, engines were fuel serviced via a tank car unit The long building just "went away" by my memory. It was 20 years ago the last I was up the area ...Just looking around...most of the tracks are gone, I think the NYC interchange track went out after 76 just not sure when.

Remember...with the PennCentral merger and the collapse of coal traffic it was the end of the northern end of the Reading company, the change came REAL quick no slow death. Lycoming Valley now services Williamsport, somebody here can fill in the details after the passing of the Reading Company

Date: 07/20/18 18:56
Author: Steinzeit2

As I recall from  a 1967 visit the RDG had a small modern metal building that was a combined locomotive/car shop.  I think it had just one track, but there might have been two.  I remember being amazed at this, since it was the first time I had encountered a combined facility like this, at least on a Class One;  I wondered how the crafts were handled, but I didn't ask [ as it was none of my business ].  It was a nice facility, with nice people -- since it was the RDG, that certainly wasn't surprising.

I hope that helps.

With best regards,

SZ

Date: 07/20/18 20:48
Author: RDG5308

The modern era enginehouse building survives as part of Transco Railway Products.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/18 20:49 by RDG5308.

Date: 07/23/18 05:55
Author: nydepot

Thank you all!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0694 seconds