Home Open Account Help 331 users online

Nostalgia & History > A couple of SP switchers at South San Francisco 1959

Date: 09/14/18 15:12
A couple of SP switchers at South San Francisco 1959
Author: photobob

Here's one of the first railroad photos I ever took. A couple of Alco switch engines next to the Bethlehem Steel Plant.

Robert Morris
Dunsmuir, CA
Robert Morris Photography

Date: 09/14/18 15:21
Re: A couple of SP switchers at South San Francisco 1959
Author: BoilingMan

Where was this?
ALCo switchers were all-but-invisible at the time, and now are celebrated in museums- ya never know!
The F-M switchers, on the other hand, seemed to always turn heads as something to ponder....
SR

Date: 09/14/18 15:42
Author: dmaffei

South San Francisco. Butler Road was the stop if I remember right. Next to the Levitz furniture warehouse that was there for a long time. Cool Halloween painted switcher power too!

Date: 09/14/18 16:24
Author: TonyJ

dmaffei Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> South San Francisco. Butler Road was the stop if I
> remember right. Next to the Levitz furniture
> warehouse that was there for a long time. Cool
> Halloween painted switcher power too!

Butler Road was the next road north of Bethlehem Steet. From 1966-67 I worked Bethllehem's Streels "South Yard" there on the right of the photo. It's the open space outside the building. The yard and company fence bordered East Grand Avenue, which at the time was a grade crossing and not the overpass it is today. Barely visible at extreme right ion one of the supports for the overhead yard crane. When I was not needed i would park the crane to the very end near the tracks and watch the FM switchers, "Train Masters" and pretty secretaries (not necessarily in that order) waiting for thier SP commute train to The City. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/18 16:27 by TonyJ.

Date: 09/14/18 19:39
Author: DynamicBrake

"Hit it out" on this one Bob.  Thanks for sharing.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 09/14/18 20:41
Author: 567Chant

This is at the limits of my monitor's resolution, but, the two units appear to be consecutive: 1563 & 1564.
If so, serious beginer's luck, Bob.
Thanx!
...Lorenzo

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0346 seconds