Home Open Account Help 260 users online

Nostalgia & History > Louisville & Nashville Depot - Florala Alabama 10/10/1987

Date: 09/22/18 19:03
Louisville & Nashville Depot - Florala Alabama 10/10/1987
Author: Alcors32

Former Louisville & Nashville Railroad Depot -  Florala Alabama. ( Right on the Florida/ Alabama state line, hince the name FlorAla ) This photo was taken on 10-10-1987 and today in the year 2018 the depot has been restored and small trace of tracks are visible all else is gone. Service ended many years ago. At one time Florala had two Railroads, A Central of Georgia branch that originated at Abany Georgia and the Louisville & Nashville branch that started at Crestview Florida on the L&N's Florida panhandle mainline, and ran Northeast 26 miles to Florala, then continued another 23 miles to Opp Alabama where it tied back into a secondary L&N line which ran 47 miles back to the L&N's North-South mainline at Georgiana Alabama.  As a child in 1966 I remember coming back from a family vaction and passing thru Florala at night a seeing a Passenger train at this depot. Any L&N fans out there that could Identifiy this train ?   Gerhard H. Anderson Photo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/18 19:06 by Alcors32.

Date: 09/23/18 07:53
Re: Louisville & Nashville Depot - Florala Alabama 10/10/1987
Author: bluesboyst

Hi,
 I looked a 1963 Official guide and there was nothing through there (passenger) in that year.   You may have scened a re-route due to trouble on the main.  What year did you see the train?

Steve

Date: 09/23/18 08:18
Author: DavidP

bluesboyst Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi,
>  I looked a 1963 Official guide and there was
> nothing through there (passenger) in that
> year.   You may have scened a re-route due to
> trouble on the main.  What year did you see the
> train?
>
> Steve

I checked a 1959 Guide and passenger service was gone by that date.  A detour, or perhaps a special of some kind seems most likely.  The route would have been a logical detour for the Gulf Wind if the line between Crestview, Pensacola and Flomaton was blocked.

Dave

Date: 09/23/18 09:26
Author: ctillnc

A 1948 Official Guide shows passenger trains 27 and 28 betweeen Georgiana and Graceville via Opp. However, Opp-Florala-Crestview was freight-only by then. In 1966 it most likely would have been the detour already suggested. 

Opp-Florala was abandoned in 1976 although the rails might not have been harvested immediately. Florala-Crestview was abandoned about 10 years later. The CofG dropped its branch (the farthest from Savannah) in the early 1940s. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0493 seconds