Home Open Account Help 281 users online

Nostalgia & History > Few vintage UP's

Date: 09/24/18 15:35
Few vintage UP's
Author: bobdavis

Attached are three pics from long ago - or so it seems, anyway - trips to the Union Pacific main line in eastern Wyoming.  First shot is the westbound WPM (Western Pacific Manifest) coming up main 3 at Dale on Sherman Hill on July 15, 1976.  The 68-car mixed freight has a SD40-DD35B-GP30B-GP30B set on the point.  The rear of the e/b Amtrak San Francisco Zephyr, train 6, can be seen about six cars deep.  Second pic is the w/b OMN (Overland Mail Northwest) west of Rock River on June 25, 1981 with a matched set of five C30-7's and 44 TOFC.  Third shot is the e/b OME (Overland Mail East) at Peru, west of Green River, on July 12, 1984 with a DDA40X Centennial on the point of a three-unit set and 53 TOFC.  I'm pretty sure that was the last year the Centennials were in regular service.  

Bob
Thayne, WY

Date: 09/24/18 16:17
Re: Few vintage UP's
Author: Bob3985

Great photos. I was switching in Cheyenne yard when the first photo was taken.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 09/24/18 20:20
Author: SCKP187

Nice photos.  Love the days when consists like these were common.
Brian Stevens

Date: 09/24/18 23:57
Author: coach

That 2nd photo is fantastic.  Shouts out "fast trains!"  Love the storm behind it.

Date: 09/25/18 05:38
Author: bobdavis

Actually, if I remember correctly, the w/b with the 5 C30's was just starting to pick up speed after passing thru a work zone.  That afternoon the w/b's were coming in waves, while in the background we had those storm clouds the entire time.  Laramie,  to the east, was getting their first rain in a month, according to folks we talked to later, while we had the luck of sunshine and "storm light".   I'll try to find some of those storm light pics and post them later.

Bob

Date: 09/25/18 12:54
Author: SP8595

Fantastic trio!

Date: 09/25/18 18:24
Author: inCHI

Excellent images!

-Jeff

Date: 09/25/18 20:06
Author: grahamline

Interesting to see the GEs. We rarely saw them in Idaho back then -- if at all, on the Montana Sub with phosphate rock that was going up into Canada for a while.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0315 seconds