Home Open Account Help 217 users online

Nostalgia & History > SCL Train 50 Leaving Augusta, GA -- Rick Burn

Date: 11/02/18 22:57
SCL Train 50 Leaving Augusta, GA -- Rick Burn
Author: MartyBernard

In May 1968 Rick caught SCL Train 50 leaving Augusta, Georgia with SCL E6A 523, ex-ACL 523, up front.

Train 50 was unnamed and made a daily round trip between Augusta, GA and Florence, SC with a connection on the Georgia RR between Atlanta and Augusta.  Florence was on the ACL north/south mainline.

Enjoy,
Marty Bernard

Date: 11/03/18 04:42
Re: SCL Train 50 Leaving Augusta, GA -- Rick Burn
Author: ctillnc

ACL and its minions offered an Atlanta-Augusta-Florence-Richmond routing to connect Atlanta with the northeast, but it's fair to say that Southern and SAL had 90% of that market. At one time there were also Atlanta-Wilmington and Atlanta-Charleston sleepers that ran via Augusta and Florence, although it was slightly faster to change to Southern at Augusta for Charleston.

Date: 11/03/18 05:15
Author: RodneyZona

Nice shots!! Old SCL passenger trains and engine crews based in Florence, SC and worked to and from Augusta, GA.

Date: 11/03/18 06:01
Author: BuddPullman

I bet those modernized heavyweight cars rode like Cadillacs! 

Date: 11/03/18 07:17
Author: RailThunder

They rode well and were nicely appointed on the inside.  

BuddPullman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I bet those modernized heavyweight cars rode like
> Cadillacs! 

Date: 11/03/18 07:42
Author: tomstp

I notice the brakeman with a red flag.  Is this the line that runs through the streets in downtown Augusta?

Date: 11/03/18 14:20
Author: bobdavis

More priceless Rick Burn pics!  Keep 'em coming!  I was stationed at Fort Gordon near Augusta in 1968, and checked my train log to see if I may have seen that same train #50.  No luck there, but I do show several sightings of a westbound #51 into Augusta in mid morning.  Even at that late date, that train carried a sleeper, but only had a single E unit on the point.  As for the street running, I'm pretty sure that area was west of the Augusta station but I could be wrong - it's been a LONG time!  I clearly remember one evening when SCL #392 from Spartanburg came east and broke in two right in the middle of the street running.  That event did a number on traffic for a while.  392 andcounterpart 397 were often as long as 140-150 cars, with as many as eight units, many of them F7's.  

Bob  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0416 seconds