Home Open Account Help 207 users online

Nostalgia & History > Depot Friday: Baxter, TN depot ID help needed

Date: 11/16/18 06:33
Depot Friday: Baxter, TN depot ID help needed
Author: santafe199

Here’s a RR depot (I think). I would like some help with its origin. To my eye it looks like one heckuva refurbishing job. But I wouldn’t be all that surprised to learn it’s a brand new structure, built with a RR theme in mind. So what’s the story here?

1. XXX depot in Baxter, TN on February 27, 2017. (Whose is/was it?)

TIA for some help!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/18 06:33 by santafe199.

Date: 11/16/18 08:18
Re: Depot Friday: Baxter, TN depot ID help needed
Author: rnb3

Good morning Lance!

The depot you lensed is a "replica" depot housing the Baxter visitor's cent and museum.  Baxter is mile post 82.4 form Nashville on the old Tennessee Central.  The TC faded into history back in 1968 and the L&N absorbed some of the territory with the subsequent Family Lines spinning off this line.  Today the Nashville and Eastern runs a tourist and freight operation through Baxter.

A quick trip through the old inter-web found a picture of the original wooden Baxter depot: https://www.tnvacation.com/local/baxter-baxter-depot-museum-visitors-center

Rick Bacon
Windsor, CO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/18 08:24 by rnb3.

Date: 11/16/18 08:34
Author: GP30Frank

Lance , Baxter is east of  Lebanon and west of Cookeville , TN.   This is probaly Nashville Eastern trackage , but iI bet TO member Railfan Terry could answer for sure .

Date: 11/16/18 09:36
Author: santafe199

rnb3 Wrote: > ...  a "replica" depot housing the Baxter visitor's cent and museum ...
GP30Frank Wrote: > ... This is probably Nashville Eastern trackage ...

Thanks, guys! Funny I didn't really notice it was a new structure until I got it up on my screen for this thread. That's what happens though, when you're in a rapid 'hit & run' mode, trying to cover as much brand new territory as you can. I think for posterity I'll ID it as L&N with a heavy "replica" notation. I have a lot of affection for Ellen En! In May 1977 I spent 3 full days with an Aunt & Uncle in Nashville, and was able to shoot up a bunch of L&N action. Even some Alco units + a couple of Autotrain action shots...

Lance

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1727 seconds