Home Open Account Help 291 users online

Nostalgia & History > OTD: a D&RGW workhorse at rest ('74) ... and at rest now

Date: 12/15/18 05:39
OTD: a D&RGW workhorse at rest ('74) ... and at rest now
Author: valmont

D&RGW 029 @ Denver on Dec.15, 1974 ...  for an update about this crane 44 years later, fast forward to this post:
Date: 04/14/18 15:34
Old Denver & Salt Lake crane on the move
Author: Bnagelcolo16

and this from http://www.moffatroadrailroadmuseum.org/

The 1913 D&SL Steam Crane has Arrived!
Our 1913 Denver & Salt Lake steam crane is here! We had to move the crane via 4 39’ track panels-pulling crane and boom car into position onto the museum grounds. This took an even bigger crane from Terry’s Crane in Salida to pick up our 255,000 lb. crane and turn it 90 degrees putting the crane on the panels so we could pull them with equipment - leap frogging the panels as we covered the 368 ft. to the museum. Call Dave Naples, museum director at 970-281-9094 if you have any questions or want to help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/18 05:49 by valmont.

Date: 12/16/18 03:48
Re: OTD: a D&RGW workhorse at rest ('74) ... and at rest now
Author: Roadjob

Anyone who ever got to see one of these awesome machines in action would never forget it. Fortunately, I am old enough to have seen them plenty, lol!  Never saw one in anything but black though. Interesting look!

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Date: 12/17/18 14:57
Re: OTD: a D&RGW workhorse at rest ('74) ... and at rest now
Author: rrman6

Yes, Bill.  Living in Southwest Kanas in the 1960's and 1970's I've watched those of the Rock Island and Santa Fe work derailments at Meade, KS and at Offerle, KS.  The Santa Fe at Offerle was lifting a loaded modern tank car at the drawbar in order to roll the truck back under it when the cable on the small winch broke, releasing the load.  Nobody was close enough for an injury, but it for sure got everybody's attention that was watching.  The CAT's with their side booms nowadays are interesting to see working together, but I still miss the work and excitement of these Industrial-Brownhoist or Bucyrus-Erie cranes.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/18 18:34 by rrman6.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0404 seconds