Home Open Account Help 371 users online

Nostalgia & History > Variety in the Harrisburg Pa area

Date: 12/15/18 18:05
Variety in the Harrisburg Pa area
Author: ns2557

Hey all, now that I have some time on my hands, thought I'd share some of my early shots from way back. I was all of 16-17 years old when I took these shots. Just got my drivers license and was constantly "borrowing" mom's 1976 Ford Pinto Station wagon. But that's beside the point, there were trains to shoot around the area of home and I did my best to take advantage of that. Had a few buds I grew up with who joined CR at the beginning who would help me get into many places back then.

Shot 1.  PC U25B 2520 sits under the old coaling dock at Enola Pa. That's a PC U23B behind the 2520. This was one of those places where having friends at CR helped. 11-13-1976

Shot 2.  One of the EMD Electric Demo's. EMD GM6C 1975 waits for it's call in Hbg Pa on 10-16-1977.

Shot 3.  The old RDG Yard at Rutherford was a great place to visit back then. One could pretty much go where one wanted as long as ya were not "stupid". One of the hostlers I mer here took me across the Turn Table on a CR ex PC C636. That was great. But here, in this one, was why I liked Rutherford. All sorts of foreign power would show up. WM F7A 7151 has 2 more WM F Units trailing along with a B&O GP9 under the old coaling dock at Rutherford. 8-22-1977

While Rutherford was not Bethlehem it did well for me. Didn't want to wander too far in the "borrowed car". Thanks for looking all. Ben

Date: 12/15/18 18:38
Re: Variety in the Harrisburg Pa area
Author: NS4271

Great photos Ben.
Thanks for posting them.
Bruce

Date: 12/15/18 18:55
Author: refarkas

Great photos for one who did not wander far. You used what your area had wisely.
Bob

Date: 12/15/18 18:59
Author: ns2557

refarkas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great photos for one who did not wander far. You
> used what your area had wisely.
> Bob

Bob, Thanks. Rutherford, Enola, Hbg were pretty much my travels. North twds Duncannon was also a favorite way to go. Made Hagerstown 1 time. Still got alot of good stuff. Mom was understanding.  Be well, Ben

Date: 12/15/18 19:36
Author: krm152

Extra nice photos.  You got a great start in a great area for railfanning.
Thanks for posting your photos.
ALLEN 

Date: 12/15/18 19:43
Author: SCKP187

Glad to see you made it home safely.  Nice to see things from back then when they were common.  Hope you can show more in the future.
Brian Stevens

Date: 12/16/18 03:16
Author: Roadjob

You didn't have to go far if you had access to the Enola, Harrisburg, Rutherford triangle. For traffic, you could not beat it, and there was plenty of variety, especially in the early Conrail day when D&H also came into the picture. Very nice images!

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Date: 12/16/18 05:27
Author: GoodTimeCharlie

Great Shots !

Not too many years after these pictures, the same areas (esp Rutherford) became a magnet for CR's 'old and unwanted'.  I made a trip out that way one cold winter day in the early 80's (I believe) and thought I had landed in heaven.  Rutherford had lines and lines of early diesels, E44s, and a few things I never quite identified.  I recall seeing  #6000 - the first PRR SD35 - gleaming in the sunshine against a few inches of snow. 

That was a heck of a trip ...

GTC

Date: 12/16/18 09:42
Author: King_Coal

It was always cool to see the coaling tower sticking up around all that catenary at Enola. Good memories with all three.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0506 seconds