Home Open Account Help 172 users online

Nostalgia & History > C&O GP9 used in the Heat of the Night TV show

Date: 12/16/18 14:16
C&O GP9 used in the Heat of the Night TV show
Author: Phil

I've been watching "In The Heat of The Night" TV show lately and have noticed a C&O GP9 roll by in a few scenes.  Would anybody happend to know the number of that C&O geep?   I cant make out the number on the side of the cab since its a bit faded and dirty and the geep shot by the camera too fast for me to catch the number.  

Date: 12/16/18 16:11
Re: C&O GP9 used in the Heat of the Night TV show
Author: srman

I think I have your answer to that one. In the TV series "In the Heat of the Night" a lot of it was filmed around Covington Ga.  One day in May 1992 while visiting family around Atlanta I was out wondering around up that way and ran upon a set that they were filming. Bubba the deputy sheriff was there sitting on a step during a break. CSX and the Hartwell ( in Social Circle) are the railroads in the area. I found this C&O GP9 parked there in Covington. I enjoy the series too and often see areas that I became familiar with while out looking for trains.

Date: 12/16/18 19:06
Author: prr4828

In addition, in the show's opening sequence, an Amtrak train is seen briefly. It's led by an F40 and followed by a few Heritage sleepers, all in Phase III striping.

* JB *

Date: 12/17/18 10:24
Author: RailRat

I saw that GP9 too just last night or this morning while watching the same show.

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

Date: 12/17/18 19:49
Author: MaryMcPherson

prr4828 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In addition, in the show's opening sequence, an
> Amtrak train is seen briefly. It's led by an F40
> and followed by a few Heritage sleepers, all in
> Phase III striping.
>
> * JB *

That was the "City Of New Orleans" trainset as it was in those days.  The first season was filmed in Hammond, Louisiana, and the trainset was used for a few scenes by the film crew.  They also filmed at the Illinois Central station in Hammond that remains in use today.

One of my co-workers has claimed to have worked that move.  He's #1 in seniority in our area, so he's got the years to have been working at that time.  He's got no proof however, and has been known to tell a tale or two.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.041 seconds