Home Open Account Help 246 users online

Nostalgia & History > Steam Mid-Continent Railway Museum Early 1960s -- Walt Dunlap

Date: 12/19/18 17:49
Steam Mid-Continent Railway Museum Early 1960s -- Walt Dunlap
Author: MartyBernard

1 and 2. CNW 1385 at the Mid-Continent Railway Museum, North Freedom, WI  on October 20 1963.

3. Chicago & Rock Island 9 at Mid-Continent Railway Museum train, North Freedom, WI August 1965.

Date: 12/19/18 17:50
Re: Steam Mid-Continent Railway Museum Early 1960s -- Walt Dunla
Author: MartyBernard

4 and 5. Dardanelle & Russellville 9 at the Mid-Continent Railway Museum, North Freedom, WI August 1965.

6. Dardanelle & Russellville 9 at The Mid-Continent Railway Museum, North Freedom, WI October 1965.

Enjoy,
Marety Bernard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/18 17:54 by MartyBernard.

Date: 12/19/18 18:01
Author: refarkas

Thanks for sharing these true treasures.
Bob

Date: 12/20/18 08:21
Author: ntharalson

Nice stuff, Marty, thanks for posting.

I would like some clarification on "Chicago and Rock Island #9."  I do not believe this is a Rock Island engine
and would like to know its history.  I believe the lettering is for a movie but don't know for sure.  TIA for a reply.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 12/20/18 08:35
Author: cabman

Wonder what the FRA would say about the engineer in photo 5?  All very nice pictures, but my favorite is #6.  What's the word...bucolic?

Date: 12/20/18 21:48
Author: JoCoLB

To Nick: For clarification, Rock Island No. 9, its tender and one coach were owned and maintained to tour the system during special events for many years. Its home base was in the former Rock Island round house at Herington, Kan., during the 1950s and 1960s. I believe the equipment had been acquired from a short line operation in Arkansas.

The accompanying picture was taken in Herington on an unknown date by local photographer Leo Ahl. 

Date: 12/21/18 04:18
Author: gbmott

JoCoLB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe the equipment had been
> acquired from a short line operation in Arkansas.

The Warren & Ouachita Valley was an Arkansas short line serving the big Weyerhaeuser mill in Warren, Arkansas, and connecting with the Rock Island at Banks, Arkansas.  It was abandoned about 1980 as I recall.

Gordon

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0694 seconds