Home Open Account Help 261 users online

Nostalgia & History > Hi-ho, Silver! Away! (in a cloud of smoke)

Date: 12/29/18 10:56
Hi-ho, Silver! Away! (in a cloud of smoke)
Author: JoCoLB

About 7 p.m. Aug. 5, 1988, I  was at the east end of the St. Louis Southwestern Railway (Cotton Belt) yard in Herington, KS, when i observed four units of light power preparing to leave the yard, apparently ready to head east to Topeka or Kansas City, Kan.

There was still good daylight and everything looked positive for a couple of good pictures. What I didn't expect was the second unit starting to spew smoke.

As the engine consist moved past me, a cloud of smoke was starting to grow..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/18 11:07 by JoCoLB.

Date: 12/29/18 11:01
Re: Hi-ho, Silver! Away! (in a cloud of smoke)
Author: JoCoLB

By the time the four engines traveled farther down the track, they could hardly be seen for the dense smoke. 

I've always wondered if the problem cleared up minutes later in the journey or if this smoky issue continued the length of the trip.

(Photos by Larry Byers)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/18 11:04 by JoCoLB.

Date: 12/29/18 11:05
Author: exhaustED

That looks a bit like a crankcase about to go kaboom!

Date: 12/29/18 11:35
Author: santafe199

I like the way you caught the old branch up to Abilene hinted at in images #2 & #3, and prominent in the foreground in image #4. I was never lucky enough to catch a train on that track...

Lance

Date: 12/29/18 13:07
Author: WAF

Thought we were talking about REA's slogan at the end of their life... "REA, away"

Date: 12/29/18 17:38
Author: Northeaster

If you have all day, ship REA!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0392 seconds