Home Open Account Help 366 users online

Nostalgia & History > Burlington John's 2018 Year in Review

Date: 01/01/19 15:59
Burlington John's 2018 Year in Review
Author: burlingtonjohn

For your entertainment is submitted the never duplicated, much anticipated and eagerly sought after Burlington John's year in review! To refresh your memories or to knock the cobwebs out of your domes (if you are like me), below are my past submissions: 

2012 https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,2956312,2956355 
2013 http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,3287471,3287493 
2014 https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,3619891 
2015 http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,3924915 
2016 https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,4192184 
2017 https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,4450485,page=1

Here we go for 2018. A word of warning: as always, I don't consider myself a pro by any stretch of the imagination; I just try and have fun like I have for the past 45 years or so. The exposures and/or compositions aren't always perfect. You have your style and preferences, just as I have mine. Doesn’t make it right or wrong. Since I started shooting slides in 1979, I would wager that those of my age have been able to shoot stuff that folks would literally kill for today, just like we feel about the greats of our past. Now that things are digital and we don’t have to worry about how many exposures we have left on a roll of K64, git out there and shoot! 

2018 was epic for steam. Three trips to Durango (with two stops in Chama), Mt. Pleasant and Chattanooga were all good. Thanks to tips from good friends, I was able to catch several office car specials courtesy of BNSF and UP; Amtrak detouring through my hometown was icing on the cake.

As we open the book on 2019, I’m planning on a trip to southern Cali to attend the wedding of a good Navy buddy in March. The mode of travel?  Amtrak, of course. But more on that when it happens.

Sit back with a cold beverage and enjoy …

Regards, 
Burlington John 

1. First railroad picture of 2018. BNSF 6515 is on the point of an eastbound at West Quincy Missouri on January 1st.
2. 20+ years after the merger, it is getting really hard to find patched locomotives in their original schemes. BNSF 2717 is at West Quincy on January 6th. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would be nostalgic about cascade green. Never.
3. As 2018 progressed, the Chargers seemed to overtake the GE P40/P42s as power on the Illinois Zephyr and Carl Sandburg.  But, in this image, #34 is at West Quincy on January 6th.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/19 15:59 by burlingtonjohn.

Date: 01/01/19 16:00
Re: Burlington John's 2018 Year in Review

1.  BNSF 3100 is at West Quincy on January 20th. This motor was ordered by the Frisco but delivered to the BN.
2. This former SP dome was at the Iowa Pacific / San Luis & Rio Grande shops in Alamosa Colorado on February 14th. I do not know what the status of the car is ….
3. As I have for the past several years, I made the pilgrimage to Durango for the annual Durango & Silverton Winter Photo Special.  K-28 #473 is backing down to couple up with it’s train for the morning run to Cascade Canyon. Nice to see railroaders talking with their hands …. February 16th.

Date: 01/01/19 16:03

1. #473 is at Cascade Canyon, February 17th.
2. The thrill for any D&S photo weekend is the night shoot. Here we have #473 and #476 simmering in the shivering mountain air on February 17th. After a rebuild and several break-in runs, 476 had been released for service. She sure did look brand-spankin new!
3. #476 is on the point of the photo special, February 18th.

Date: 01/01/19 16:04

1. BNSF 7447 and CSX are flying with an eastbound at La Plata Missouri on the old Santa Fe transcon, March 3rd.
2. BNSF 5333 is on the point of a westbound at La Plata, March 3rd. We don’t seem to get much H1 power here on Missouri’s Brookfield sub, so it is always a treat to see one on the transcon.
3. Refer to my earlier comments about finding original paint schemes this long after the merger. BNSF 630 and BNSF 9668 are westbound at Palmyra Missouri, April 28th.

Date: 01/01/19 16:05

1. I thought the westbound was going awfully slow. Sure ‘nuff, he was going to meet an eastbound!  BNSF 8107 is on the passing siding at MP 16 on the Brookfield sub, April 28th.
2. BNSF 8514 is the rear DPU on an eastbound at Elmer Missouri, May 5th.
3. SD40 BNSF 6308 was donated to the city of Marceline Missouri. The city was having some sort of celebration downtown on May 5th. Volunteers had an air compressor hooked up so that kids could ring the bell and blow the whistle under the watchful eye of retired railroaders. I do believe the locomotive has been restored to its Santa Fe number …

Date: 01/01/19 16:07

1. Santa Fe 2546 sits in the park near the depot at Marceline, May 5th.
2. BNSF 2117 is at West Quincy, June 23rd.
3. Cumbres & Toltec #484 is departing westbound at Antonito Colorado on June 27th.

Date: 01/01/19 16:08

1. I first seriously visited the C&T in September 2017. I thought I had hit the ultimate railfan jackpot when I saw TWO doubleheaders in two days. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would get that lucky again. As we made our way towards Durango, stopped at Cumbres Summit to catch the eastbound out of Chama. As you stand there, you can hear the train accelerating up the hill and you hear the sound. That unmistakable sound. That glorious, magical sound. Two steam locomotives were double heading up the hill and headed right for me.  K-36s 488 and 487 doing what they do best, June 27th. My 19 year old daughter was impressed.
2. The main purpose of our family trip west to Durango was a special trip we had scheduled on the Durango and Silverton on June 30th. I will not rehash all of the drama associated with the fire, etc, but to make a long story short, we decided to go. Train or no train. My oldest daughter and her fiancé had non-refundable plane tickets were a determining factor, too. I decided that since the D&S and the Durango / Silverton area as a whole had been so good to me over the past several years, it was time for me to put up or shut up. I’d said many times to the Boss and family that you could go to Durango and have a 100% good time, even if you weren’t a railfan. The 481 and office car Nomad were parked just outside the roundhouse waiting. Waiting. Every single D&S employee, every shopkeeper in Durango and Silverton, every place thanked us for coming. I told Mr. Harper that I knew that the money that we spent during our time there would make a very small dent the overall scheme of things, but I thought it was important that this railfan show my support. And you know what? My family had a blast!  July 1st.
3. On July 4th, 1981, Amtrak’s San Francisco Zephyr was detoured eastbound through my hometown of Palmyra Missouri due to flooding on the usual route in Iowa.  On July 4th, 2018, Amtrak’s Southwest Chief was detoured eastbound through my hometown of Palmyra due to a derailment on the former Santa Fe transcon. Who says history doesn’t repeat itself?

Date: 01/01/19 16:09

1. Charger 4615 on the point of the Carl Sandburg at Quincy Illinois, July 15th.
2. Perfect reason why you should ALWAYS carry a camera with you at all times. I was headed to Quincy Illinois when I saw the unmistakable form of a Budd dome on the tail of the Carl Sandburg at West Quincy. ‘Twas a good day, tater. July 21st.
3. BNSF 2042 must be experiencing some sort of identity crisis at West Quincy, August 18th.

Date: 01/01/19 16:10

1. Thanks to a tip from a friend west of Hannibal Missouri, I was able to catch two special eastbound movements on the Norfolk Southern in Hannibal on August 21st. The first was a routine freight train lead by NS 911.
2. Next up was a Union Pacific passenger special lead by UP 1943. Good looking motor if I do say so myself.
3. The summer can’t come to a proper end without a visit to the Midwest Central Railroad in Mt Pleasant Iowa. These fine folks operate annually in conjunction with the Old Threshers reunion the last weekend of August. Good shots are easy to be found, despite the ton of people wandering the grounds. Ticket prices are extremely reasonable and for a steam starved midwest, the ‘Route of the Woodburners’ always put on a great show. Surrey, Southampton & Sussex #6 (known locally as the “6”) is about to arrive at the South Station on September 1st.

Date: 01/01/19 16:11

1. At the Old Threshers, there is even something for traction fans on the Midwest Electric Railway. #1718 is carrying a load of happy passengers on September 1st.
2. Georgetown Loop #12 is at the Midwest Central South Station, September 1st.
3. September was a travel month in a big way.  Made the road trip to Chattanooga Tennessee on the weekend of September 15th for the reunion of the crew of the American Freedom Train. It was my first visit to the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum and they did not disappoint. They have a fine facility and if your schedule finds you in the area, you have GOT to go!  Southern 2594 is at Chattanooga on September 15th.

Date: 01/01/19 16:13

1. Each AFT crew reunion usually includes a rail excursion and this year was no different. We were able to ride a trip from Chattanooga to Summerville Georgia behind Southern 4501. I’ve long read about 4501 but we had just never crossed paths. The TVRM folks hit the ball out of the park on the rebuild of 4501, including the paint scheme. Simply awesome.  This photo is a Summerville where 4501 was cut off from the train and turned for the return to Chattanooga.  The gentleman in the photo is Trainorder’s own CO614, Mr. Ross Rowland. I’ve had the good fortune of visiting with him at the last several reunions and I am in awe. Still. September 15th.
2. On our return to Chattanooga, we even did a photo runby with 4501. The AFT crewmembers heartily approved! September 15th.
3. TVRM has a wye at Chattanooga to facilitate turning a complete train … 4501 is looking good on September 15th.

Date: 01/01/19 16:14

1. Southern 6914 is at the main TVRM shop on September 16th. I was told that it needs a bit of electrical work before it can be placed in regular service. Good looking motor if I do say so myself.
2. Another shot of 4501 on the TVRM wye, 16 September.
3. Southern 4701 at TVRM, September 16. I’ve said it before and at the risk of starting a major flame war, I am of the opinion that next to my beloved CB&Q, the Southern Railroad had the finest paint scheme ever applied to a diesel. Your mileage may vary ….

Date: 01/01/19 16:15

1. Ross Rowland speaking at the banquet that wraps up the weekend festivities. It is always a lesson to sit and hear him speak … September 16
2. Again, refer to what I previously said about steam double headers. I headed west the weekend after Chattanooga, bound for Durango and their fall photo special. Of course, I went via Antonito, Cumbres and Chama. I set up at Cumbres and BAM! Up the hill came another double header!!!!  C&T 489 and 487 were diggin taters (as we say ‘round here) on the approach to Cumbres. My schedule didn’t permit a ride this time, but I stopped in Chama and hit the gift shop. Maybe I should have bought a lottery ticket, too. Three trips to Chama, four double headers …. September 21st.
3. 489 has cut off the train and is going to turn on the Cumbres wye and head back to Chama while 487 is going to take the train onwards to Antonito. September 21st.

Date: 01/01/19 16:16

1. I didn’t plan on attending the Durango & Silverton fall photo special, but considering all the D&S folks and the surrounding area/businesses have been through, I thought it important to go and show my support. Night shoot at the D&S roundhouse on September 21st; K37 #493 is well in her return to service, 3rd from the left.
2. Our photo special went in the hole at Tacoma so westbound #482 could run around us on its way to Silverton. September 23rd.
3. #476 is on the point of the photo train on September 23rd.

Date: 01/01/19 16:17

1. No D&S photo special is complete without a runby on the high line / horseshoe curve just outside of Rockwood!  September 23rd.
2. Thanks to a trip, I caught a BNSF office car special at Rock Cut (near Palmyra Missouri) on October 9th. Interesting that the BN sign still exists on the bridge ….
3. Every year Amtrak will run extra trains on the Illinois Zephyr/Carl Sandburg route between Chicago and Quincy to accommodate all of the college traffic. Here we have Charger 4616 on the tail end of an extra eastbound Sandburg at Quincy, November 21st.  For informational purposes, 4603 was on the point.

Date: 01/01/19 16:17

1. Norfolk Southern heritage is clear on FURX 5580 at West Quincy, December 16th.
2. 49 years after the merger, it is always a thrill for this old Q fan to see a CB&Q lettered car in service, even it is in company service. West Quincy, December 16th.
3. Phase III 822 was in the consist of #4 at Fort Madison, Iowa on December 30th.

Date: 01/01/19 16:18

1. Last shot of the year is HLCX 1039 at West Quincy, December 31.

Hope you all have a safe and train filled 2019, see ya next year!

Regards,
Burlington John

Date: 01/02/19 07:36
Author: Santafes95

As old blue eyes would say, "It was a very good year!"  Thanks for sharing. I made it to Chatanooga too. Very nice railroad. Happy 2019.

Date: 01/02/19 08:24
Author: ntharalson

A nice set of photos, thanks for posting.

Two "Nitpicks" if you will.  The BNSF 3100 is not an ex-Frisco engine.  All the Frisco ordered GP50's were 
returned to the lessor in July of 1997.  The 3100 you shot is an ex-Santa Fe engine, re-numbered out of the
3200 series.  Unfortunatley I don't have my reference material handy to tell you which one.  

Also, I shot the ex-Santa Fe SD40 in Marcelline in October and it has been fully restored to its Santa Fe number
and looks very nice.  A close look showed some areas that needed attention but the Marcelline folks didn't need
me to tell them that. 

Thanks again.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/19 08:26 by ntharalson.

Date: 01/02/19 10:16

ntharalson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A nice set of photos, thanks for posting.
>
> Two "Nitpicks" if you will.  The BNSF 3100 is not
> an ex-Frisco engine.  All the Frisco ordered
> GP50's were 
> returned to the lessor in July of 1997.  The 3100
> you shot is an ex-Santa Fe engine, re-numbered out
> of the
> 3200 series.  Unfortunatley I don't have my
> reference material handy to tell you which
> one.  

Thanks Nick! I'll admit that I don't keep up on the BNSF roster liked I used to with the BN back in the day ...

Regards,
Burlington John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1472 seconds