Home Open Account Help 347 users online

Nostalgia & History > Distinctive CNW nose

Date: 01/15/19 19:53
Distinctive CNW nose
Author: jgilmore

Classic 40s with the distinctive CNW nose. Did any other roads have this? Also, I wrote down train ZBRPR (or "Zebra") at Janesville, WI, sometime in the early 90's. Anyone know what I saw? TIA for any replies...

JG

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/19 19:56 by jgilmore.

Date: 01/15/19 20:12
Re: Distinctive CNW nose
Author: GRNDMND

GTW had second-generation EMD's with "gong-style" bells on the low nose like CNW. Only ones I can remeber.

​KC

Date: 01/15/19 21:14
Author: CPR_4000

DT&I used a gong on the nose like that, too.

Date: 01/16/19 06:47
Author: SR2

Looks to be to be a ballast extra for MOW.  Anyone know what the symbol BR was?
PR was Proviso Yard.

Date: 01/16/19 08:48
Author: ntharalson

GRNDMND Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> GTW had second-generation EMD's with "gong-style"
> bells on the low nose like CNW. Only ones I can
> remeber.
>
> ​KC

I believe these were ex-DT&I engines as noted below.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 01/16/19 09:26
Author: cnw6856

This is indeed a C&NW(or UP) company ballast train.  These trains originated from the quarry at Rock Springs, Wisconsin, just northwest of Baraboo.  I wonder if the train symbol is correct however?  In C&NW's Train Symbol and Service guide, BR was the code for the Belt Railway of Chicago's Clearing Yard.  PR is indeed C&NW's Proviso yard.  ZBRPR looks more like a UP symbol. Perhaps this is a post-April 1995 image showing a UP train?  C&NW's symbol code would have had the origin and destinations first, then the type of train.  For example, JAPRA and JAPRB were daily manifests (A, B, D were manifest codes) from Janesville to Proviso, hauling mostly finished autos and empty parts boxes from the old GM plant in Janesville.  The original 1981 C&NW symbol guide does not list Z for any trains.

It's a great photo no matter the symbol!

Mark

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0745 seconds