Home Open Account Help 345 users online

Nostalgia & History > Aftermath of SOO 1987 Rear Ender near Brompton IA

Date: 01/20/19 10:32
Aftermath of SOO 1987 Rear Ender near Brompton IA
Author: MILW86A

The following photos were provided to me by retired engineer Steve Alex from a rear ender that happened near Moravia IA south of Ottumwa in 1987. 

My notes below are from retired engineer Bill Greenley:

I believe this was the wreck just east of Moravia. Collins and Paulsen were the KC crew. Bob Boyd and Max Traxler were on the engine. I believe Bruce Meadows might have been the conductor. Paulsen bailed off and wasn't hurt. Boyd was injured, but not badly. Max was very nearly killed. He never recovered from his injuries, never came back to work. A Medivac chopper set one skid on the right of way with the other in the air to get Max out of there. His whole left side was crushed, his elbow was shattered into little pieces. Collins was heading into the siding and was stopped or nearly so. Due to miscommunication, Boyd came up too far and too fast and couldn't stop before bashing the caboose. I was at Washington on an empty hopper trying to get a warrant at the exact time of the wreck. I can still hear the fear in the dispatcher's voice. It was a nasty, nasty day.

MILW86A 

Date: 01/20/19 11:44
Re: Aftermath of SOO 1987 Rear Ender near Brompton IA
Author: krm152

Fortunate that everyone on the engine was not killed.
It certainly is heartbreaking to look at.
ALLEN

Date: 01/20/19 13:28
Author: dan

make it a b unit

Date: 01/20/19 21:23
Author: 8notch

just looking at that gave me a pit in my stomach. very lucky no one was killed as the other poster said. 

Date: 01/21/19 14:33
Author: fbe

This pretty much shows the value the carriers place on the value of their employee's lives. Everything in the crew compartment is wiped out save for the brake valve stand. No wonder the railroads are all for crewless trains.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0401 seconds