Home Open Account Help 373 users online

Nostalgia & History > 3 memorable mates in U.P. memory bank from 1989

Date: 01/23/19 16:51
3 memorable mates in U.P. memory bank from 1989
Author: JoCoLB

Always on the lookout for something a little bit different than the normal lashups on a railroad, this trio of locomotives filled the bill for me on April 20, 1989, on the Union Pacific Railroad's KP line along old U.S. 40 highway about one-half mile west of Chapman, KS.

Pulling an eastbound U.P. manifest was a gray and yellow U.P. locomotive, No. 3517, which bore Missouri Pacific lettering; a Chessie System locomotive, No. 5335; and a Jenks blue Missouri Pacific locomotive, No. 3019. To me, it was a terrific trio to be moving through Kansas on the well-known Denver-Kansas City route.

A friend tells me that the Chessie unit was actually a CSX engine. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/19 17:04 by JoCoLB.

Date: 01/23/19 16:53
Re: 3 memorable mates in U.P. memory bank from 1989
Author: JoCoLB

About 20 minutes later, I was able to get a grab shot of the same threesome from the U.S. 77 highway bridge over the U.P., at the southwest edge of Junction City, KS/

(Photos by Larry Byers) 

Date: 01/23/19 19:50
Author: santafe199

Interesting chase, Larry! Unfortunately that shot at Junction City is all but impossible today. The trees have grown in on the track and there is now a fence covering passage over the rails on both sides. The only time I ever got a shot off the && overpass was of train #154 with with 2 small Rock Island U-boats for power. And wouldn't ya know... my camera was slightly out of focus for that shot. %$#&@#@&!!!...

Lance/199

Date: 01/24/19 07:54
Author: ntharalson

Interesting consist too.  I'm guessing the Chessie GE is a U23B, led by a GP50 with an SD40 trailing.  Don't see that everyday,
even when these were taken!

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0413 seconds