Home Open Account Help 238 users online

Nostalgia & History > SP Eugene, OR Hump yard activity

Date: 02/17/19 09:21
SP Eugene, OR Hump yard activity
Author: Fallbridge4449

Kind of a rotten day weather wise today here in Oregon--thought I would play on the computer and post a little video--
Again some Regular 8mm movie film that my father took--The reel of film marked 1972-75---Most likely on a weekend to find some trains--
Nice to see an ALCO working the hump and bowl tracks--
A southbound BN train, that came down their old Oregon and Electric line,  into the yard for interchange---
The nice SP yard master even gave us a nice tour of the hump tower--
Thanks for looking and have a great week---
J. Dean Sheldrake
Silverton, OR

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 02/17/19 09:26
Re: SP Eugene, OR Hump yard activity
Author: Fallbridge4449

Here is an older TO link--showing the Hump yard after it's closure

Dean

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,3990288,3990288#msg-3990288

Date: 02/17/19 09:51
Author: Railbaron

Thank you! Brought back great memories; I worked a lot of hump jobs but unfortunately got to Eugene after the RSD15's and later C628's were gone. 

Also neat to see a time "the public" could go into the yard and watch what was happening without too many issues.

Date: 02/17/19 12:45
Author: trackplanner

Great video! SP and BN had a runthrough agreement at that time with BN power coming south on the mainline to Eugene and SP power running north to Seattle. Saved a power swap at Brooklyn.

Date: 02/17/19 15:15
Author: DynamicBrake

Great video of some classic power!  Thanks so much for sharing.  Was last there in '94...looks a bit different today I'm sure.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 02/20/19 05:40
Author: Southern-Pacific-fan

Great video, loved the veneer cars in the background

Date: 02/20/19 08:16
Author: funnelfan

Awesome video! I've been looking for a video with sound showing the pneumatic switches and retarders in action. That was a real interesting experiance to hear that hump in action the couple of times I was there.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 02/20/19 15:53
Author: ProAmtrak

Great video, thing that's really awesome is the variety of power, hope you got more to show us soon!

Date: 02/20/19 16:29
Author: TCnR

Great video, not sure how else to say it. Great conversion, good color, interesting details all over. Yep, things have changed.
t4p.

Date: 02/20/19 17:52
Author: RailRat

Really Nice video, really liked the 70's Stuff (Trains and People)
Great film transfer to digital, and your lucky to have such treasured memories on film.
My Long gone Aunt Ethel was an 8mm filming freak back in the 1960's and 1970's, I remember one holiday when she came in our front door while filming us, but all I remember is the the big rack of 3 or 4 flood lights blinding all of us, making us all squint from the sudden bright camera lights!
Don't know what happened to all her films, would love to see them today.

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/19 17:54 by RailRat.

Date: 02/21/19 22:35
Author: EsPee1229

What a wonderful treasure!  My daughter and son-in-law lived on Hansen across NW Parkway from the yard in the mid 80s.  Could see and hear the action.  The hump us gone, The bowl is gone.  A good portion of the tracks are gone.  Not much left these days.

Keith in Roseburg

Date: 02/22/19 09:53
Author: pismopete

Nice to see the RSD-15s still in road nymbers before being given 3100 switcher numbers.
Peter Arnold

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0872 seconds