Home Open Account Help 368 users online

Nostalgia & History > Photo Request

Date: 03/24/19 21:03
Photo Request
Author: callum_out

My buddy Jim Harper needs a shot of the "cab" end of a TR6B or of SP #4700 for modeling purposes, would
appreciate anything someone might have.

Out

Date: 03/24/19 22:18
Re: Photo Request
Author: Rathole

This isn't much to offer but it might help on the fine details.   I'll have to check the collection for a 3/4 roster shot but may be a day or two before I get to it.       

Date: 03/25/19 06:18
Author: utwazoo

This might help

Date: 03/25/19 07:42
Author: CPR_4000

Excellent detail in the top shot! Are the gauges for hostler controls? Were the throttle and brake behind the large door under the gauges?

Date: 03/25/19 07:57
Author: Rathole

I was always under the impression they were for the engineer in the controlling unit to keep an eye on the calf, but since I've never been around cow-calf combinations very much, much less operated one, I could be totally wrong on that.

Hopefully someone who has run them can provide more info. 

================================================================================================================================    

CPR_4000 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Excellent detail in the top shot! Are the gauges
> for hostler controls? Were the throttle and brake
> behind the large door under the gauges?

Date: 03/25/19 09:39
Author: callum_out

Thanks guys, much appreciated, I've got an end shot of a CNW calf and it lacks the gauge cluster and the door
arrangement is simpler.

Out

Date: 03/25/19 10:20
Author: PHall

callum_out Wrote:
> Thanks guys, much appreciated, I've got an end
> shot of a CNW calf and it lacks the gauge cluster
> and the door
> arrangement is simpler.
>
> Out

Is the CNW unit really a Calf, which has an engine in it or is it a slug which has no engine and no need for the lights and gauges?

Date: 03/25/19 11:23
Author: cewherry

callum_out Wrote:
> My buddy Jim Harper needs a shot of the "cab" end
> of a TR6B or of SP #4700 for modeling purposes,
> would
> appreciate anything someone might have.

Can't help with pics of the SP4700 but can provide some details. Built by EMD in November 1950 cab unit 1600 was coupled semi permanently to
booster unit 1600B by an 'inert drawbar', meaning no couplers. No.1600 was equipped with bi-directional controls and the set was sent to the SP for
testing with SP's dynamometer car on the Mina and Fallon branches in Nevada. SP purchased them in April 1951 renumbering them 4600 (cab) and
4700 (booster) while retaining EMD's two-tone red demonstrator colors. These two were not equipped with MU capability and initially spent some
time on SP's Northwestern Pacific. 

At the time of purchase of the 1600-1600B, SP ordered three more sets of TR6A-TR6B's numbered 4601-03 (A units) and 4701-03 (B units); all built
in October 1951. These additional three sets were equipped with MU controls and also spent time on the NWP. 

Charlie  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/19 11:25 by cewherry.

Date: 03/25/19 11:28
Author: cewherry

CPR_4000 Wrote:
> Excellent detail in the top shot! Are the gauges
> for hostler controls? Were the throttle and brake
> behind the large door under the gauges?

No brake valves or throttle levers on the SP TR6B's. 

Charlie

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0419 seconds