Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Nostalgia & History > U.P. Old Main Line Papillion NE. then and Now.

Date: 03/25/19 11:50
U.P. Old Main Line Papillion NE. then and Now.
Author: zoohogger

I was going through pictures and found a shot of the Papillion, Nebraska station I took probably in Late 1990 or 91. 
The Original main line of the UP went south from Omaha and turned west at Gilmore following the Big Papillion Creek (the Papio) to Papillion, then Millard.
In 1905 The Lane cuttoff was built and the "new" Main ran west to Lane, just north of Millard.
The Old main line was in service untill 1988 when the tracks started to be removed. Customers could still be reached in Millard from the west into the 2000's
In reading my UP books I know that many new steam locomotives were sent to Gilmore and ran down the old main during tests. I believe I saw a picture of Big Boy 4000 there.
There were stations at Papillion and Millard. 
In the predawn hours of a day in the 90's the Depot at Papillion was demolished much to the dismay of a group trying to save it. 
So here is a before (1990) and after(today).
Luckily some buildings in Papillion still exist.  The brick building just to the south of the station is Brownie's Watering Hole(hidden by the library in the new picture).  Good food, good service, cold beer.
There is a monument outside the Library now with explanation of the railroad and "tracks" in the sidewalk showing where the railroad crossed.

Date: 03/25/19 15:13
Re: U.P. Old Main Line Papillion NE. then and Now.
Author: Copy19

Thought I heard the local on the Millard lead the other day, but I sure haven’t heard any through trains since the flood.

JB - Omaha

Date: 03/25/19 18:08
Author: wpjones

Rick, I was in that Runza last night about 8:00 and thought to my self " I wonder where the tracks were around here?" I think I'm close.
I guess I was closer than I thought. Steve

Date: 03/26/19 07:20
Author: zoohogger

Look both ways before stepping out of the Runza.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.053 seconds