Home Open Account Help 238 users online

Nostalgia & History > Riding Down a Mighty Fine Line

Date: 04/02/19 17:33
Riding Down a Mighty Fine Line
Author: BNSF-6432

I'm a little late for the last day of operation for the Rock, but while looking through my father's RI prints I found a couple shots where he found himself along for the ride with a front row seat. I'd believe this is a commuter train although they were also using E units for freight at the time so it could go either way. I do know these come from the Chicago area but I'm not able to locate either shot. I'm sure someone may be able to figure out #1, while #2 may be more tricky. Regardless, here's a couple views from the fireman's side of a Rock Island E unit of some sort.

1) The train passes an empty depot platform and temporarily halts traffic at what looks like the main drag of this unknown town.

2) Out on the open main, a clear block is observed at an unidentified block signal.

Taken by Daryl McGee
date unknown
PQM

Date: 04/02/19 18:15
Re: Riding Down a Mighty Fine Line
Author: Englewood

Out of my Rock area of expertise for a definite location but I say this is west of Joliet.
Someone will know for sure but my guess on the depot is Ottawa.  That Shell gas station is
still there. The signal in the distance is for the Q Streator Branch diamond.  

Photo 2 is also west of Joliet and I guess that it is somewhere in the ABS 
territory west of Morris.

Thanks for posting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/19 18:17 by Englewood.

Date: 04/02/19 18:58
Author: depotdan

Yes, that's Ottawa.  Worked there several times in 1970.

Dan Sabin

Date: 04/02/19 19:10
Author: TexasRocket

depotdan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, that's Ottawa.  Worked there several times
> in 1970.
>
> Dan Sabin

Speaking of E units, how are your's doing?

Date: 04/02/19 21:01
Author: AndyBrown

Thanks for posting and would love to see more if you've got 'em!  The block siganl photo is tough; very little to go on but someone intimately familiar with the line may recognized the tall series of poles on the pole line and the bluff in the far distance.  Can't quite make out the number plate on the block signal but that would tell all.

Andy

Date: 04/03/19 06:03
Author: Bob3985

I concur in that this depot is Ottawa. Stopped there many times on 11 & 12 for passengers.
On the second photo I am not sure but I am racking my old brain trying to figure out those hills in the distance.
It has been 43 years since I worked there.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.041 seconds