Home Open Account Help 363 users online

Nostalgia & History > Shortline Sunday-Anthracite Rwy on Kutztown Br. 33 Years Ago-OTD

Date: 04/14/19 05:18
Shortline Sunday-Anthracite Rwy on Kutztown Br. 33 Years Ago-OTD
Author: perklocal

The ex-RDG Kutztown Branch runs from the junction with the Reading Line at Topton,PA. to Kutztown,PA.,a distance of 4 miles. After Conrail gave up on a few branches in the area, the state took them over and found Designated Operators to service the customers on these lines. The Anthracite Railway (ATRW) was chosen to run the Kutztown Branch as well as the Colebrookdale and Perkiomen branches. The ATRW ran these branches until October of 1988. The Kutztown Branch is now the home of the Allentown & Auburn Railroad that runs excursions over this line.  First shot is of ATRW #9 an ex US Army GE 65 Tonner (USAX 7079 built 1941) at Topton,PA. getting ready to head for Kutztown on 4/14/1986.  Second shot is coming into Kutztown at Kohler Road.  Final shot is #9 shifting the McConway & Torley Foundry in Kutztown where among other things they manufactured Draft Gear for freight cars.

Date: 04/14/19 08:40
Re: Shortline Sunday-Anthracite Rwy on Kutztown Br. 33 Years Ago-
Author: LV95032

Nice pictures but glad to see them go away. They picked a name that had nothing to do with either Kutztown or Boyertown but did cause confusion with a very similar named historical society who didn't appreciate getting their bills!
RWJ

Date: 04/14/19 09:50
Author: refarkas

Thank you for sharing these rare photos.
Bob

Date: 04/14/19 10:24
Author: perklocal

I had never heard that story about the Anthracite Railway Historical Society getting their bills before.  It gives me a chuckle now,but I'm sure that you were not amused at the time. Sorry Rich.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0342 seconds