Home Open Account Help 195 users online

Nostalgia & History > CN near Jasper May 1973

Date: 05/18/19 11:13
CN near Jasper May 1973
Author: photobob

A westbound CN train carrying white flags nears Jasper in May 1973. Holy Cow its been forty six years since I took this.

Robert Morris
Dunsmuir, CA
Robert Morris Photography

Date: 05/18/19 11:27
Re: CN near Jasper May 1973
Author: billmeeker

Neat shot.  What's with the long hood forward?

Date: 05/18/19 12:38
Author: Parkcar

A gorgeous historical photo.  Nicely done, with perfect light, sir.   To bring that forward to 2008, here is a similar, with double-track now installed, and another generation of locomotion.
A group of us were out shooting this day with no particular shots in mind, although this location is always fruitful.  After a while, two us sitting quietly atop this position spotted a large ram sunbathing on the far side of the tracks, perched well above us.  After being here and relatively motionless and quiet for at least an hour, he decided for whatever reason to saunter down and check us out a little better.  This resulted in him traipsing across the tracks, eyeing us up on the crest of the rock-pile.  He slowly moved up towards us, to which a sudden and short conversation ensued about how to protect ourselves should he get closer and more aggressive. The ram then lowered his head and hoofed that ground, thus we knew this wasn't a pretty situation any longer.  Now what!!!!  We had nowhere to go, no exit route. After extending our monopods and grabbing a few bigger rocks as ammunition, he charged us, head down and ready to fight.  We had no idea what prompted this aggressive behaviour.  As we sought to protect ourselves as best possible, the ram suddenly veered to the right, about 5 feet in front of us and headed over the edge.  After getting over our near-heart-attacks and realizing that we had placed ourselves between a rock and a hard spot (sorry, I couldn't resist), we noticed a group of ewes down below, by the highway, probably the inspiration to show his male dominance.  To this day, we still tease each other (sheepishly, of course) about nearly being rammed off our perch!  True story.
One more, taken from a further east (north) looking back to your vantage point.

Cheers
Park

Date: 05/18/19 12:53
Author: photobob

I ran into the same problem at that location as it seems that May is the horny season season for these rams, excuse the pun, but I went up there anyway. I took some shots of the Super Continental from there a few days later and ran into the same horny rams. 

Robert Morris
Dunsmuir, CA
Robert Morris Photography

Date: 05/18/19 14:15
Author: dmaffei

Great now and then comparison. You can still see the spot Photobob stood in Parks first shot. Did you find any empty chee-toe  bags or orange powder in the area Mr Park?

Date: 05/19/19 02:41
Author: Roadjob

Beautiful. Love when I could get curvature like that!

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Date: 05/19/19 07:06
Author: Parkcar

"dmaffeiGreat now and then comparison. You can still see the spot Photobob stood in Parks first shot. Did you find any empty chee-toe  bags or orange powder in the area Mr Park? "
`````````````````````````````````````````
NO! Realizing that you might have been writing 'tongue in cheek', but still....a reminder from us Canadians.   Remember this is Canada, and this in particular is a beautiful National Park in Canada.  While not everyone here are as caring, we Canadians respect and value the cleanliness of our land.  We 'gernerally carry our garbage to a garbage can, among other things.  We recycle instead of throw crap in the ditch.  We ask that when you visit our beautiful country, that you please do the same.
Every spring, most communities conduct roadside cleanups, gathering all garbage in ditches to keep litter in check and keep our communities looking as they should.  Not sure if US does this anywhere, but the visual difference in our two countries is very apparent when traveling south of the 49th.
...and now, as a Canadian,.....the obligatory caveat...'sorry'
Cheers
Park

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0588 seconds