Home Open Account Help 375 users online

Nostalgia & History > One more Golden Spike 150th activity

Date: 05/19/19 20:04
One more Golden Spike 150th activity
Author: atsf121

So I didn't make it up to Promontory on the 10th, we went the 11th.  But besides my visit to the Utah State Capitol to see the 3 final spikes (Gold/California, Silver/Nevada, and Copper mix/Arizona) and the Stadler open house in Salt Lake, my wife mentioned that the old train station in Lehi, UT was going to be open to celebrate the Golden Spike 150th.  So after getting the little kids in bed, I hustled over to see what was going on at the depot.  I learned that the depot was the last surviving one from the Utah Southern Railroad and the grandmother talking to everyone who came through had a cool connection to the depot.  Her grandparents had lived there as the station agents and a few of her aunts had been born there.  After it's life as a depot, the building was moved and used as a barn in town.  But then in the 2000 it was moved back to the original location and restored.  The first floor is a museum with some neat old maps, photos, copies of article about the depot, and an N-scale layout representing scenes around the north end of Utah Valley, mostly Lehi.  They even have a model of the Lehi Roller Mills - famous in town for being in the movie Footloose.  It was cute, Darlene was asking another gentlemen if he knew anything about model trains, but after he said no, I made her day when I said that I did.  So it looks like I'll have a little project this summer to try and get the layout running again.  All in all, it was a nice finish to a great day of trains.  I did realize tonight that I forgot to get a good picture of the depot itself, will have to try again later.  My wife commented after we got home from Promontory on the 11th that she was glad my week of train adventures (chasing the Big Boy as it came into Utah; the Capitol, Stadler, and Lehi Depot on the 10th, Promontory on the 11th) was finally done.  Then I reminded her that I have the NMRA convention in July - she just rolled her eyes.

Nathan

#1 - plaque on the outside of the building
#2 - one of the many articles about the depot
#3 - the N-scale layout with the Lehi Roller Mills in the lower corner

Date: 05/20/19 06:53
Re: One more Golden Spike 150th activity
Author: Bob3985

Great photos covering the story of the depot and railroads to which it served. And have a safe trip out to Sandy in July for the NMRA national convention

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0523 seconds