Home Open Account Help 175 users online

Nostalgia & History > Maroon Monday: Joliet, where else?

Date: 05/27/19 14:57
Maroon Monday: Joliet, where else?
Author: santafe199

Because my maternal Grandfather was a career Rock Island man I will always love seeing Rock Island images. Anywhere. And one thing I’ve noticed about CRI&P photography here on TO (and especially on thatother website”) is the staggering number of Rock island photos taken at Joliet, IL. In no way am I knocking Joliet or the seemingly endless treasure trove of photos that have been taken there. But I thought I’d seen or collected just about every possible angle of Rock Island action around Joliet, especially across the famous diamonds bordering the passenger platforms.

Enter Bill Gibson, with an angle at Joliet I don’t think I’ve ever seen before. He shot arriving Rock Island passenger train #6, as seen across the sprawling platform complete with a baggage cart. And for background fodder we see a classic industrial-looking building with lettering from a bygone era. It’s a classic scene for Maroon Monday, albeit in black & white.

1. CRI&P 650 with train #6 at Joliet, IL on March 9, 1970.
Photo by William A. Gibson (WAG) Sr.

Thanks for looking back!
Lance Garrels (santafe199)
Art Gibson (wag216)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/22 21:13 by santafe199.

Date: 05/27/19 15:30
Re: Maroon Monday: Joliet, where else?
Author: agentatascadero

Is this a solo photo, or are there more?  Some of us here like to see the whole train, not just only the locomotive, for the sake of seeing the whole train.

AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 05/27/19 16:02
Author: refarkas

A great scene as well as photo.
Bob

Date: 05/27/19 16:30
Author: CNW8531

I always love seeing Rock Island shots. Post more if you have them. Good stuff!

Date: 05/27/19 18:10
Author: dt8089

Joliet was one of those cool places one could go to catch three different Railroads plus Amtrak.  I was raised in Joliet and it was a 10 minute bike ride for me.  With the Santa Fe, Rock Island and GM&O later ICG the action was nearly nonstop.  Here's a couple of different angles at Joliet for you.  Dan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0412 seconds