Home Open Account Help 356 users online

Nostalgia & History > UP 3985 In And Around Marysville, KS

Date: 06/11/19 10:45
UP 3985 In And Around Marysville, KS
Author: Atomicpunk

In the early 90's 3985 travelled through Marysville, KS for the first time.  The photos aren't  the greatest because of cheap camera I was shooting with.  At any rate, it's cool to see the steam engine in action.  

Photos 1 and 2. 3985 coming into UP's yard at Marysville, KS.   

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/19 11:10 by Atomicpunk.

Date: 06/11/19 10:53
Re: UP 3985 In And Around Marysville, KS

I remember the steam engine had laid over for the night in Marysville and the following morning I caught 3985 heading east at Upland Jct. about 4 miles east of Marysville.  UP had just added the second mainline track through the junction at the time.  In photo 3 and 4, you will see the furthest right signal for ex-UP St. Joe branch the Northeast Kansas and Missouri Railroad was operating. 

Photos 3,4 and 5

Maybe the former UP steam crew members can give more details of where they were going on this trip. 

Thanks for looking.
Mike

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/19 11:17 by Atomicpunk.

Date: 06/11/19 12:58
Author: santafe199

Neat stuff, Mike! I sure do miss Marysville in its old configuration. Photo access was so much easier in those days. And you might not even recognize Upland (jct) today. It's pretty well overrun with trees and such...

Lance

Date: 06/11/19 14:28
Author: BuddPullman

Nice views.

In the 90's I joined a couple hundred other folks for a Camerail sponsored UP Steam trip from Council Bluffs to Kansas City, to be pulled by the UP 3985.  Due to local flooding (sound familiar?) our train was pulled by frieght diesels from CB to Marysville the long way, via Gibbon NE.  At Marysville, the UP 3985 was added for the last lap from Marysville to KC.  

The trips was extended by hours, but I didn't mind.  We never really saw the 3985 as no one was allowed to step off the train and there were not runbys.  It was dark arriving into Kansas City Kansas and Kansas City Missouri.  We could watch the smoke out of the stack of the locomotive from one of the dome cars before darkness set in.

Date: 06/11/19 15:47

santafe199 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Neat stuff, Mike! I sure do miss Marysville in its
> old configuration. Photo access was so much easier
> in those days. And you might not even recognize
> Upland (jct) today. It's pretty well overrun with
> trees and such...
>
> Lance

Lance,  That is correct!  You could pretty much go anywhere in the Marysville yard and not be bothered.  

Mike

Date: 06/11/19 17:10
Author: Bob3985

BuddPullman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice views.
>
> In the 90's I joined a couple hundred other folks
> for a Camerail sponsored UP Steam trip from
> Council Bluffs to Kansas City, to be pulled by the
> UP 3985.  Due to local flooding (sound familiar?)
> our train was pulled by frieght diesels from CB to
> Marysville the long way, via Gibbon NE.  At
> Marysville, the UP 3985 was added for the last lap
> from Marysville to KC.  
>
> The trips was extended by hours, but I didn't
> mind.  We never really saw the 3985 as no one was
> allowed to step off the train and there were not
> runbys.  It was dark arriving into Kansas City
> Kansas and Kansas City Missouri.  We could watch
> the smoke out of the stack of the locomotive from
> one of the dome cars before darkness set in.
>
>   
I remember that trip. Steve told me to run the 3985 and he would do mthe groundwork getting our head end tied on your train after the inbound power moved out of the way. Well, just as the train arrived from Omaha the heavens oened up in a hectic thunderstorm and Steve got drenched making the ground moves. I remember firing for him th Kansas CIty and there was some some lightning. A good friend of mine from Des Moines was videoing for our steam cerew tapes south of town and he almost got blown away with the lightning. What a trip!!
Thanks for the memories.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0581 seconds