Home Open Account Help 378 users online

Nostalgia & History > 150th Anniversary Of Transcontinental Railroad Dutch Flat, Calif

Date: 07/05/19 21:08
150th Anniversary Of Transcontinental Railroad Dutch Flat, Calif
Author: FiveChime

150th Anniversary of the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad was celebrated as the theme of
the Dutch Flat July 4th parade held yesterday. During the construction period of the Central Pacific
over Donner Pass, Dutch Flat had the largest population of Chinese people in the United States.

Trainorder's Boiling Man (SR Bush) recently constructed this diorama in the Golden Drift Museum in Dutch Flat
showing the history of a section of the Donner Pass Route where a historic trestle was replaced by a massive
fill over which trains travel on now.

Regards, Jim Evans

Date: 07/05/19 22:20
Re: 150th Anniversary Of Transcontinental Railroad Dutch Flat, Ca
Author: SP4360

For clarification he made the diorama, not the thing it's sitting in. Obviously an overindulgence of artistic license.

Date: 07/05/19 22:53
Author: IC_2024

Way to go, SR, with the diorama of Secret Town — excellent !

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/19 22:55 by IC_2024.

Date: 07/06/19 05:53
Author: atsf121

Cool parade, and BoilingMan’s diorama sure has a nice home.  

Nathan

Date: 07/06/19 08:07
Author: FiveChime

Definitely cool!

Regards, Jim Evans

Date: 07/06/19 08:34
Author: BoilingMan

Thanks Jim.  I wish I could have been there (I was in Santa Barbara- we host a gathering of old HS friends to watch fireworks from The Boat while attempting to knock down the world's vino reserves.  A new tradition since retirement).
I've attended about 30 4ths in DF and they're always a kick (so nice they go around twice, so I guess 30 4ths means I've seen 60 parades!). 
I believe the fellow helping carry the (436lb?) rail is an actual descendant of the CPRR track gangs- is that true?  Did they say anything about that?.
Yes, the County built the yellow display case my diorama sits in.   It made me cringe a bit, but people seem to like it, so what do I know?  There is supposed to be a "boxcar-looking" display honoring Judah & Strong to the right of it, but the County hasn't installed it yet. 
The Transcontinental Railroad all began whith the signing of papers at Strong's Drug Store that sat across the street from the museum.  The store is long gone, but a marker was added about 2 weeks ago pointing out the location.
If you're up foam'n The Hill, swing through old Dutch Flat and give it a look.  it's a nice little town.
SR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0427 seconds