Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Nostalgia & History > L&NE Train Order

Date: 07/23/19 05:00
L&NE Train Order
Author: cr7998

This Lehigh & New England train order was issued to C&E Engine 709, on Jan 25, 1959.  The 709 was an Alco FA.  This order gives authority to operate from Pen Argyl Shops to Allen Junction.  I could not find Allen Junction on any L&NE maps, and it is not listed as a station in the L&NE section of the Official Guide.  Can anyone advise exactly where Allen Junction was?  My guess would be where the branch to Allentown left the line to Bethlehem.  

The L&NE had less than three years to live, operations would cease in October 1961 and most of its trackage would be abandoned.  The CNJ would take over some of the lines around Bethlehem and Nazareth PA.  

Date: 07/23/19 06:03
Re: L&NE Train Order
Author: njmidland

You are correct, Allen Jct. is where the line into Allentown branched off from the line between Crane Jct. and Bethlehem.  It is still in service today, operated by Norfolk Southern as part of their Cement Secondary.

Date: 07/23/19 16:57

njmidland - Thanks for confirming the location of Allen Jct.  Is any part of the branch to Allentown still in service?  

Date: 07/24/19 18:11
Author: njmidland

Yes - not sure how far it still goes but here is the actual junction.

Date: 07/24/19 19:08

Thanks for posting the picture of the junction.  About 30 years ago, I got a picture of the freight station at the end of the L&NE's Allentown Branch, on Hanover Avenue.  The tracks were long gone, but the building was in good shape.  I believe it is still there today, and that it has been designated as a historical landmark. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/19 19:09 by cr7998.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0289 seconds