Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Nostalgia & History > Some give back to one of my favorite roads!

Date: 07/23/19 09:54
Some give back to one of my favorite roads!
Author: Roadjob

I am not much into joining groups that sit around and lament about the past, and how great it was to be a railfan long ago. I exercise that lamentation here with you, LOL! In this case I was approached by Warren Jenkins and the Western Maryland Railway Historical Society about donating some images to their museum, and for the archives. No railroad gave me more pleasure than the WM, with the exception of the B&O and EL, so I was more than happy to donate a flashdrive full of images to the society. I also had some old large prints collecting dust, so they went too, figuring they would do better with these good folks, than as mildew gatherers in my basement. The society's location is in the old Western Maryland station in Union Bridge Maryland. The amout of material they have accumulated is staggering! If you are a Western Maryland Railway fan, do yourself a favor and check this society out. My wife, ever the family documentor, took this photo of me with my large contribution to the society. If you have items or photos of your favorite road, seek out whatever group has a collection of artifacts from that road, and donate. It will do much to keep that road alive for future generations.

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/19 15:34 by Roadjob.

Date: 07/23/19 10:10
Re: Some give back to one of my favorite roads!
Author: photobob

A beautiful photograph. Your B&W photos are outstanding and thanks for sharing them on TO.

Robert Morris
Dunsmuir, CA
Robert Morris Photography

Date: 07/23/19 10:27
Author: RFandPFan

Thanks for your great posts and sharing your photos with us!

Date: 07/23/19 10:30
Author: EL833

Your hair is as white as mine lol. Seriously, your material deserves to be saved, so thank you for taking the time to help the WM folks with their request for some of your images.

Roger Durfee
Akron, OH

Date: 07/23/19 10:32
Author: ClubCar

photobob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A beautiful photograph. Your B&W photos are
> outstanding and thanks for sharing them on TO.

As I have stated before, I also thank you.  I especially enjoy any B&O and Western Maryland that you have.  And the WM Historical Society has a nice set up there in Union Bridge as they are located on the former main line of the Western Maryland, now operated by the Maryland Midland.  In the old days there were numerous excursion trains that ran on the WM and with some of them from Baltimore, those trains picked up many passengers from that station in Union Bridge, Maryland.  Those were the good-ole-days when one could not find a more friendly railroad to operate with than the Western Maryland.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 07/23/19 13:32
Author: warren1977

Bill, it was a pleasure to meet you and your wife, and accept your generous donation to the WMRHS.
Thanks for also graciously autographing my magazine.
Warren W. Jenkins
Thurmont,MD.

Date: 07/23/19 15:36

The pleasure was mine Warren! You and your organization impressed me greatly!!

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Date: 07/23/19 15:37

I like to think of our hair as silver linings to old bodies!!

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Date: 07/23/19 20:15
Author: RuleG

You have posted a number of wonderful Western Maryland images on Trainorders.  WM fans will appreciate your generosity.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0402 seconds