Home Open Account Help 370 users online

Nostalgia & History > 8x10 glass negatives from long ago. Pt 4.

Date: 08/11/19 05:55
8x10 glass negatives from long ago. Pt 4.
Author: lilwes

I'm done scanning the negatives and there was a total 80.  Of those only one was broken, and I was still able to scan it.  Me and this Epson V850 are going to get along just fine.  First up is a trestle somewhere.  As before if anything rings a bell with all of you shout it out.  2 and 3 are of a broken rail in a switch.   Note the wooden blocks in the switch.  It looks as if they are wooden rail joint plates.  If anyone can explain further please do.  I will post more in a couple days.  My plan is to post all 80 over the next couple weeks. 
Thanks for looking and have a blessed day. Wes

Wes Chiles
Topeka, KS

Date: 08/11/19 07:46
Re: 8x10 glass negatives from long ago. Pt 4.
Author: monaddave

First photo of the bridge... given the size of the man standing next to the bridge for perspective, this looks to be a double track bridge. Santa Fe had a number of them around central Kansas as backwater over flow from nearby rivers. One that comes to mind is this one west of Augusta, KS along the Walnut River... https://goo.gl/maps/pPWBQ5zEcxiTZmBe9   

Enjoying your glass plates.
Dave in Missoula

Date: 08/11/19 08:59
Author: up833

Yes those look like wood blocks in #3. Bolted onto the rail but not at a joint.  And it looks like concrete in the gap at the rail point. Things you dont see these days.
Thanks for posting.
RB

Date: 08/11/19 11:36
Author: boejoe

Photo #2 right hand lead goes to a weigh scale track

Date: 08/11/19 13:14
Author: LV95032

Epson scanners are being used to scan many glass plate negatives. Steamtown NHS has done about 10,000 and the Pennsylvania State Archives has done many as well. It is quite amazing what spectacular images result from the combination of old technology with modern technology :-).

RWJ

Date: 08/11/19 13:15
Author: fbe

I don't see any broken rails in the switch. Those bolted hardwood blocks were common in frogs some time ago. I wonder if they weren't intended to direct a low flange to keep it from splitting the frog point. I also remember some which were stamped metal.

Date: 08/11/19 13:39
Author: santafe199

lilwes Wrote: > ... a trestle ... if anything rings a bell ...

Hey boss, DING-DONG!! I have an image that "answers the bell" in multiple ways. I believe Mr Franz is correct about your B/W trestle being a river overflow drainage precaution. My shot below is exactly that kind of trestle just a bit east of one of your favorite photo locations: Alabama Terrace Rd crossing down by Quenemo, KS. You have to take adjacent "Labette Terrace Rd" (which is a minimum maintenance road) a few hundred yards to the east to get to it. Unfortunately this wooden version was replaced by 2014(?) by a new modern trestle with steel H-beam pilings. This area is a precautionary overflow for the Marias des Cygnes River. Here is the photo info:

1. BNSF 6947 with an eastbound stacker on August 25, 2013 east of Quenemo, KS.

and a link to its previous posting: ( https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,3293363,3293363#msg-3293363 ).

Lance

Date: 08/11/19 16:30
Author: lilwes

It's in photo #2.  The rail head on the right has broken off.

Wes Chiles
Topeka, KS

Date: 08/11/19 17:42
Author: fbe

Wes,

There may be a fracture near the first C clamp but as you can see by the ball that rail carries no load. You can see the ball wear where the wheel normally runs and it well worn.

Alan

Date: 08/11/19 22:23
Author: spladiv

Look closer to the camera than the break in the frog, it clearly shows a head fracture at the joint bar on the right side of the photo.

Date: 08/13/19 06:01
Author: HB90MACH

That photo shows why philadelphia was known as the workshop of the world.  People complain when model railroaders spaghetti bowl track like that. Yet there it is.  All those good paying jobs gone.   All in china now

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0713 seconds