Home Open Account Help 369 users online

Nostalgia & History > What's behind the Fs is interesting too

Date: 08/11/19 13:53
What's behind the Fs is interesting too
Author: Copy19

One of my favorite fanning areas during my college days in Reno was just west of town on the Espee mainline.  In those days it was mostly rural with a lot of wide open spots to photograph trains.  Looking at this one today I'm struck by the interesting cars in this view near the Mayberry Road crossing.  Hey, real  40-foot boxcars!   

If you look closely you will see a couple of crewmen from the Truckee local up near the flatcar handling a switch into a sawmill.   You can see the orange end of their caboose sitting on the westbound main at the right.  The Fs are eastbound on a passing train, running left-handed as was the practice there.  The  date was December, 1962.

JB - Omaha

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/19 14:34 by Copy19.

Date: 08/11/19 13:59
Re: What's behind the Fs is interesting too
Author: DynamicBrake

....and no graffiti JB!  Thanks for the look back.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 08/11/19 16:11
Author: UP951West

A neat photo !  the FW&D boxcar brings back nice memories as do the F's  ..Thanks .

Date: 08/11/19 16:58
Author: utwazoo

How things have changed.  Here the box cars have friction bearings,  ladders to the roof,  and wooden placards on the sliding doors for stapled paper signs like "Do Not Hump", etc.

Date: 08/11/19 19:06
Author: atsf121

Wow!

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0411 seconds