Home Open Account Help 327 users online

Nostalgia & History > Sunday ICG "creamsicle" matched set . . .

Date: 09/08/19 05:56
Sunday ICG "creamsicle" matched set . . .
Author: 3rdswitch

.   .   .   doing what they were rebuilt to do, a trio of Paducah rebuilds were working hard taking a train north out of Jackson, MS, back in summer '84.
JB

Date: 09/08/19 07:18
Re: Sunday ICG "creamsicle" matched set . . .
Author: ghemr

That's a great photo!!

Date: 09/08/19 08:19
Author: Vicksburg_Route

I saw far too many of those locomotive consists while living near the ICG.  Even after moving away from the mainline, those locomotive consists were still plentiful on the MidSouth after the ICG Garage Sale in 1985 or so.  From the appearance of the ROW, this looks like the former Y&MV, known today as the Yazoo Sub.  The heavy rail, new ties and fresh ballast evident in this image sorta take me in that direction.  At that time, it hadn't been many years since the entire Jackson to Memphis mainline via Greenwood and Yazoo City was lifted from the mud and completely rebuilt with 4R money.  It's an excellent image, and one that is difficult to duplicate, except on a very select number of shortlines.  

Date: 09/08/19 13:51
Author: 3rdswitch

Yes, it is the Yazoo Sub, in the end the passenger main through Grenada, which I think was the name of the sub or district, saw only 58 59 and the hotshot.
JB

Date: 09/08/19 13:52
Author: SCKP187

Nice image, and good looking consist as well.
Brian Stevens

Date: 09/09/19 06:38
Author: Englewood

Run 8 to make sure they are not sucked back into the black hole
of North Jackson yard.

Interesting coincidence.  When in high school watching the GTW passenger trains go by
I occasionally saw a passenger car named "Cynthia".  I forget now if it was still in IC paint or 
if the GTW had repainted it.  When I broke in on the Yazoo / Gulfport Dist. desk in the early 80's
I found out where Cynthia was.  The first siding north of North Jackson at the north end of the
yard limits.  If memory serves me correctly, the op at North Jackson had a simplified CTC machine
that allowed him to hold southbounds at the south end of Cynthia. 

I imagine this photo was taken somewhere around Cynthia?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0455 seconds