Home Open Account Help 349 users online

Nostalgia & History > More bumps, more power! Where else did they need helpers.

Date: 09/19/19 03:11
More bumps, more power! Where else did they need helpers.
Author: Roadjob

B&O's legendary mountain districts got all of the attention, and deservedly so, but to the east of the Alleghenies, there were hills to conquer that did not get the noteriety, but, presented the same operational headaches as the bigger mounds west of Cumberland. Today we'll take a look around at where else extra hustle muscle was used.

first series is a bit off the area of interest, but we'll show B&O around the area.

top...As the 70s moved to mid decade, B&O power was gradually replacing the pure sets of Western Maryland first generation power on the Williamsport grade west of Hagerstown. Train is just east of Williamsport.

middle...rare helper combo east of Hagerstown, shoving eastbound toward Highfield Md. 1976

bottom...Shoving an eastbound out of East Yard in Philadelphia. 1973

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Date: 09/19/19 03:15
Re: More bumps, more power! Where else did they need helpers.

Back to Baltimore

top and middle show helpers shoving eastbounds into the Howard Street Tunnel. Top shows old tunnel configuration, and middle shows lengthened tunnel necessitated by building of an interstate connecting road into the city.

bottom...1970, two geeps shoving eastbound toward Baltimore, passing Mount Winans yard.

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Date: 09/19/19 03:20

going west a bit just east of Brunswick at Point of Rocks Maryland.

top...3 Geeps push eastbound on Metropolitan subdivision.1974

middle... eastbound passing waiting helpers on Met. 1971

bottom...helpers shoving eastbound up old main line. 1974

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Date: 09/19/19 03:23

My home turf, the Baltimore Beltline.

top...eastbound just past North Ave. 1965

middle...Early shot from Huntingdon Ave near top of eastbound grade out of downtown, 1964

bottom...not as exciting as the previous 2 but still a good show. North Ave. in background 1976

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Date: 09/19/19 03:28

top and middle...The old mainline of the B&O through Pittsburgh was a roller coaster. To get westbounds out of the city, helpers were frequently needed on the coal and ore drags that frequented this line. The hot trains skirted the city on P&LE trackage rights. Both early 70s

bottom...eastbound at Miller tower, Cherry Run WVa.  heavy trains not able to take the low grade line would get help through here.1975

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Date: 09/19/19 03:31

top...drifting far afield, borrowed B&O unit is shoving a westbound Reading freight out of Allentown yard

middle and bottom.... one last look at a couple of shots I found of Helpers on Sand Patch.

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Date: 09/19/19 03:59
Author: ClubCar

Bill, all of your photos are fabulous and you should put a complete book together.  I know that it costs money to do this; however, maybe the B&O Historical Society would aid you.  I am astonished at all the outstanding photos that you took on both the B&O and the Western Maryland.  I realize that you also took many great photos of other railroads but to me since I personally loved both the B&O and the Western Maryland, I appreciate everything that you have posted thus far.  Please continue to share them with us along with your stories.  One final thing; in that first photo showing the train coming out of the Howard Street Tunnel, one can also see the B&O passenger train on the upper level of Camden Station in Baltimore.  That really hits the spot as I remember this so well.  I should have spent some time doing what you did, take a lot of photos.  Thanks so much once again.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 09/19/19 05:12
Author: refarkas

Another excellent set of photos. Your ability to capture the train in the scene so well amazes me.
Bob

Date: 09/19/19 07:26
Author: WM_1109

Is there no end?  (I certainly hope not.)
Your posts alone are worth the price of admission, Bill.
/Ted

Date: 09/19/19 07:37
Author: 3rdswitch

Another outstanding bunch. It is amazing they allowed that much power pushing on the caboose!
JB

Date: 09/19/19 09:48
Author: ghemr

Great series of photos---I enjoyed looking at them!

Date: 09/19/19 12:46
Author: krm152

Outstanding action photos of first generation power.
Like each and every one.  Thanks for the posting.
ALLEN

Date: 09/19/19 18:53
Author: SCKP187

Very nice set of photos and series on helper service.  It certainly is nice to see all the different first generation power consists.
Brian Stevens

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1074 seconds