Home Open Account Help 220 users online

Nostalgia & History > Switcher Saturday - Conrail switchers, Ordinary and Unusual

Date: 10/12/19 12:37
Switcher Saturday - Conrail switchers, Ordinary and Unusual
Author: cr7998

Conrail inherited quite a collection of power from its predecessors.  Here are a few Conrail switcher shots.  

1.  Conrail #3 was photographed in the Fells Point area of Baltimore on Oct 16, 1980.  The PRR once switched numerous warehouses, plants, and docks around Fells Point, mostly on street trackage.  In this congested area, beasts like #3 proved to be more practical than standard switching locomotives.  Who needs a runaround track when the crew can just uncouple and drive around the cars they are handling.  I don't know the history of #3, I'm hoping that someone else on TO will have additional information.  I believe that PRR once had numerous units like this, that switched on street trackage in Baltimore and also in New Jersey.  B&O also had at least one similar diesel-powered switcher with rubber tires, also used in the Fells Point area.  Conrail's operation in Fells Point ended in the early 1980's when the Allied Chemical plant, the largest customer, closed.  Does anyone know what happend to #3?

2.  Conrail 8509 was the last operating SW1 on the Conrail roster.  It was originally PRR 9209, built in 1949.  For many years, it was the shop switcher at Hollidaysburg PA.  Here is it on May 16, 1982, working in the yard at Hollidaysburg.  I don't know retirement date or if it was preserved.  

3.  Conrail SW1500 9614 is at Abrams, PA on Oct 27, 1980.  This unit was built for the Reading Railroad in 1969, number 2764, and was still on the Conrail roster in 1997, don't know what happened to it after that.  

Date: 10/12/19 14:50
Re: Switcher Saturday - Conrail switchers, Ordinary and Unusual
Author: refarkas

Conrail 3 - RARE!
Bob

Date: 10/13/19 16:18
Re: Switcher Saturday - Conrail switchers, Ordinary and Unusual
Author: Neutron-Don

#3 wound up in Enola Diesel Terminal and was used to spot company traction sand cars for unloading.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0304 seconds