Home Open Account Help 358 users online

Nostalgia & History > Lot of Hood Switching on Early C&O GP7’s

Date: 11/18/19 15:39
Lot of Hood Switching on Early C&O GP7’s
Author: krm152

C&O’s first order for GP7’s was for twenty, #5700 - #5719.

The units were originally equipped with twin headlights on both ends. The upper headlight was a Pyle GyraLite and the lower headlight was a regular twin sealed beam fixture. Shortly after delivery, the upper Pyle GyraLites were removed with the regular headlight being left in its original low position. (info per penncentral74)
A review of my photos of I&O #55 & #56, formerly C&O #5704 & #5705 shows a different position for one regular headlight on each unit.
On #55 ex C&O #5704, the regular headlight on the long hood is the upper position where single headlights were normally located.
On #56 ex C&O #5705, the regular headlight on the short hood is the upper position where single headlights were normally located.
(see posted photos)

These differences prompted me to do some further research to determine if other changes had been made.
Looking at photos, on RRPicture Archives and FallenFlags, of twelve units’ short hoods, I found the regular headlight was in the upper position on #5705, #5713, #5716, & #5717. Either the headlights had been repositioned or the hoods had been switched, probably the latter.
Again, looking at photos, on RRPicture Archives and FallenFlags, of nine units’ long hoods, I found the regular headlight was in the upper position on #5704. Probably the hood had been switched.

Considering the number of units' photos that were reviewed, there appears to have been a lot of hood switching going on.
Maybe some other TO members can shed light on what was going on here and advise if there were any switches that I didn't identify.
ALLEN

Update
Have looked at photos of short hoods of three additional units for a total of fifteen.  None had their front headlights in the upper position.
Five units that photois were not seen of short hoods are: #5703, #5706, #5709, #5715, & #5718.
Photos that were not seen of long hoods are: #5702, #5703, #5706, #5708 - #5713, #5717, & #5719.
Special thanks to the contributors and thanks to all viewers.
ALLEN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/19 22:34 by krm152.

Date: 11/18/19 16:21
Re: Lot of Hood Switching on Early C&O GP7’s
Author: EL833

Attached grab shot of the 5702 at Akron, Ohio in April 1978 to show the low headlight. I seriously doubt that an entire hood was changed out on any of these just to move a headlight. Headlight relocation was a fairly common thing after things like mars lights and such fell out of favor. The upper housing was probably still available behind any plated over former light locations, an easy fix- unlike removing and replacing an entire hood. Interesting history.

Roger Durfee
Akron, OH

Date: 11/18/19 16:30

EL833 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Attached grab shot of the 5702 at Akron, Ohio in
> April 1978 to show the low headlight. I seriously
> doubt that an entire hood was changed out on any
> of these just to move a headlight. Headlight
> relocation was a fairly common thing after things
> like mars lights and such fell out of favor. The
> upper housing was probably still available behind
> any plated over former light locations, an easy
> fix- unlike removing and replacing an entire hood.
> Interesting history.

Thanks.  Did not see a photo of #5702 in my review.
ALLEN

Date: 11/19/19 20:07
Author: penncentral74

This attachment is courtesy of the C&O Historical society and shows the as-delivered configuration of head and warning lights.

Note the text about the frugal nature of the C&O from this era, reusing the guts of the GyraLites as replacement units for switchers on the roster.

The GyraLites didn't last very long, and there was an image of an ex-Pere Marquette roundhouse with some brass-hat's in front of the turntable in what I remember was 1952.  The array of GP7's in the roundhouse didn't have a GyraLite amongst them.

This early batch of GP7's was built in Cleveland along with a large group of switchers.  The plant is still there as a pallet-making facility and has a TEREX (once part of the GM empire) logo on the roof.

Date: 11/19/19 20:41

penncentral74 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This attachment is courtesy of the C&O Historical
> society and shows the as-delivered configuration
> of head and warning lights.
>
> Note the text about the frugal nature of the C&O
> from this era, reusing the guts of the GyraLites
> as replacement units for switchers on the roster.
>
> The GyraLites didn't last very long, and there was
> an image of an ex-Pere Marquette roundhouse with
> some brass-hat's in front of the turntable in what
> I remember was 1952.  The array of GP7's in the
> roundhouse didn't have a GyraLite amongst them.
>
> This early batch of GP7's was built in Cleveland
> along with a large group of switchers.  The plant
> is still there as a pallet-making facility and has
> a TEREX (once part of the GM empire) logo on the
> roof.

Thanks for posting the builder photo and headlight info.
ALLEN

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0661 seconds