Home Open Account Help 327 users online

Nostalgia & History > Brighton Park in Chicago

Date: 11/20/19 09:56
Brighton Park in Chicago
Author: ghemr

When I took this photo my goal was to capture the operator's shack rather than the train. Here we have Soo Line 775 eastbound on the B&OCT with a train for Barr Yard. Today, 37 years later this area has changed dramatically-----gone are the semaphores, the shanty, Campbell's Soup factory, the locomotives and much more. In fact where I'm standing there's the CTA Orange Line overhead. Indeed, it was a cool place to visit way back when......

Photo taken on 5-9-82 Chicago, IL

Date: 11/20/19 10:02
Re: Brighton Park in Chicago
Author: briancdn

That is such a great photo on so many levels; the train, background, semaphores, etc. I wish I had known those semaphores were there that late. We not only preserve the train history with these photos; but the towns and cities as well. Thanks for posting.

Brian N.

Date: 11/20/19 10:14
Author: ghemr

briancdn Wrote:
. I wish I had
> known those semaphores were there that late.

The semaphores lasted until July 2 or 3, 2007. During the holiday weekend the entire crossing became a true interlocking!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/19 10:14 by ghemr.

Date: 11/20/19 10:15
Author: refarkas

What a great memory you are sharing!
Bob

Date: 11/20/19 10:26
Author: iowa516

I loved coming through here back in my CSX days.  We would sit for HOURS.  Always took a trip to the Burger king down the hill.

Date: 11/20/19 11:37
Author: TAW

ghemr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>  When I took this photo my goal was to capture
> the operator's shack rather than the train. Here
> we have Soo Line 775 eastbound on the B&OCT with a
> train for Barr Yard.

Something else changed dramatically. Ten years before, that trains could only be going the the CJ. B&O interchange was delivered at Robey Street by the house job that then went to the freight house on 12th/Canal.

TAW

Date: 11/20/19 13:30
Author: Lackawanna484

That's a wonderful picture. Love the Campbell's water (soup?) tower...

Date: 11/20/19 13:41
Author: TAW

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's a wonderful picture. Love the Campbell's
> water (soup?) tower...

Used to be able to tell what soup was in production by the aroma in the neighborhood.

TAW

Date: 11/20/19 14:44
Author: nycman

There is so much history of the area to see in that photo.  You really got a winner with that shot.

Date: 11/20/19 18:16
Author: irhoghead

My first job out of college was as a sales rep. for an Illinois trucking company. The first big account that I was able to get for the company was that Campbell's Soup company plant in the picture. It turned into a great account. Thanks for bringing back some memories.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0301 seconds