Home Open Account Help 387 users online

Nostalgia & History > ATSF Q Train ?

Date: 11/21/19 15:20
ATSF Q Train ?
Author: WichitaJct

7400 and an SD45 on the point of an EB (NB geographically) at North Wichita (KS.) June 1988. Could this have been one of those short lived Q trains? 

Date: 11/21/19 18:00
Re: ATSF Q Train ?
Author: dan

fits the bill

Date: 11/22/19 07:50
Author: ntharalson

Short lived????  Seems to me the Q-NYLA made it to the BNSF merger and survives today as the Q-NYCLAC.  Just saying.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 11/22/19 10:11
Author: WichitaJct

The Q trains in question were, I believe, an "experiment ATSF did in the late 80s to capture short haul intermodal traffic. One of the changes was a concession from the operating unions for longer crew runs. As I recall the trainmen's union agreed but the engineers did not. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/19 10:11 by WichitaJct.

Date: 11/22/19 10:28
Author: wag216

I do not think that is a "Q" train. Of course, I did not see every ''Q"'  train  at here in Wichita. My shots show a single 4 motor unit and 4 - 10 cars. wag216

Date: 11/22/19 15:59
Author: KskidinTx

That empty flat car would restrict the train to a maximum of 55 mph so I also doubt that is a "Q" train.
Mark

Date: 11/22/19 20:10
Author: bnsfsd70

Neat!  Love that B39-8!  

- Jeff Carlson

Date: 11/22/19 22:34
Author: willieb007

Technically speaking, the Q-NYLA became the Z-NYCLAC9 and still runs. It formerly received Conrail UPS trailers from New Jersey via TV-9 if I remember correctly. There is a Q-NYCLAC, but it basically handles the domestic coast to coast stacks. The Z9 handles Hot UPS, LTL TOFC/COFC forwarded from NS, originating in Rutherford and Croxton, New Jersey. In return the Q-LANY, became the Z-LACNYC9 and handles Los Angeles to New Jersey (New York) traffic via NS symbol 20W. 

Date: 11/23/19 02:10
Author: RHicks

KskidinTx Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That empty flat car would restrict the train to a
> maximum of 55 mph so I also doubt that is a "Q"
> train.
> Mark
It could be a Q theres a contanier on that flat car

Date: 11/23/19 06:15
Author: KskidinTx

Yes, I stand corrected.  I should have looked closer before responding.

Date: 11/23/19 06:27
Author: texchief1

I thought the Q experiment was all trailers and containers.  Didn't know it had vehicle traffic.  Could be wrong, which wouldn't surprise me.

Randy Lundgren
Elgin, TX

Date: 11/23/19 17:33
Author: skinem

Of course anything's possible, but never saw them with anything but four-axle power. We would have a P/U for the WB's on a regular basis, but can't remember so much for the EB's. The combined seniority of those reduced crews probably exceeded most of the combined seniority of full crews that were out there. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0368 seconds