Home Open Account Help 363 users online

Nostalgia & History > Alligators in the Backshop

Date: 01/20/20 09:25
Alligators in the Backshop
Author: spider1319

In 1971 Santa Fe was still overhauling the the 9800 class Alco built engines at San Bernardino Backshop.However by 1974 they would all be taken out of service and stored and never to run again on the ATSF.Here are images from 1971 snapped near,actually both sides of the transfer table on the eastend of the locomotive shop complex.The white sheet on the frontal view is the paperwork for the overhaul.Bill Webb

Date: 01/20/20 10:33
Re: Alligators in the Backshop
Author: 3rdswitch

Nice catches. Wish I would have wondered back there a few more times. The paint job on those gators look great.
JB

Date: 01/20/20 11:39
Author: refarkas

Excellent black and white catches.
Bob

Date: 01/20/20 12:19
Author: penncentral74

Notice the crosshair and OK from the measurement check of the center of the knuckle above the rail (34 1/2").

Date: 01/21/20 00:17
Author: Evan_Werkema

Curious that 9820 still has its pre-1970 number (820) in the rear bugboards.  Did you get a front view of it (other what we can see to the right of 9814 the first photo)?  This is the unit that is now at the California State Railroad Museum in Sacramento (not displayed). 

Thanks for explaining the plaque for the paperwork.  We've seen those in other shots and speculated as to their use.

Date: 01/21/20 11:28
Author: spider1319

Evan,I went back and looked and I do not think I got a front view of the 9820.I wish I would have taken more shots back there,although I did take  a fair number particularilly near the end.The San Bernardino Backshops were like a different world.As soon as you drove in you felt you had entered that world Bill Webb

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0405 seconds