Home Open Account Help 381 users online

Nostalgia & History > Matched Set Saturday: SP GE B-units

Date: 01/25/20 21:38
Matched Set Saturday: SP GE B-units
Author: jgilmore

Found this slide but not sure where or when I took it. Three 7800 series GE B units lead what looks like a loaded coal train, maybe Pueblo, CO? Pretty sure this was on a trip in the late 80s. Anyone know for sure the location? Also find it weird they would power a heavy train with 4-axle units... JG

Date: 01/25/20 21:54
Re: Matched Set Saturday: SP GE B-units
Author: CPW548

Looks like it could possibly be Bragdon, CO north of Pueblo. Train would be southbound crossing bover from the ATSF owned Southbound Main over to the DRGW Northbound main. This is the southern most part of the old Colorado joint Line. Where DRGW and ATSF split to go to their respective yards. Nowadays BNSF runs on both sides in both directions and UP sticks to the traditional DRGW from here south.

Zach Green
Parker, CO

Posted from Android

Date: 01/25/20 21:56
Author: Mr-Beechcroft

Not really "B" units. B units don't have a cab. These are B30-7's.

Adam

Date: 01/26/20 00:37
Author: coach

Rio Grande, WP and others ran heavy trains all the time with B-B axle diesels.  And the engineers did it all without a "trip optimizer" computer program to figure it out.  It was REAL railroading.

Date: 01/26/20 07:23
Author: texchief1

Nice shot,

You can post 3 shots at one time and then you can reply to yourself and go on and on with as many shots as you want, three at a time.  I learned the hard way.  Everybody jumped on my ass when I posted like you just posted.  All good shots, though.

Randy Lundgren
Elgin, TX

Date: 01/26/20 07:52
Author: SP8595

Nice catch and shot!

Date: 01/28/20 15:36
Author: tbraun

Cool shot! I'd guess early 1990s given the ditch lights on the first and third unit. I don't think SP began those retrofits until it became clear that it would be required. In the late 80s I'd expect to still see oscillating lights on the majority of the units instead.

-Tim

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.102 seconds