Home Open Account Help 207 users online

Nostalgia & History > BC Electric Ry

Date: 01/26/20 12:08
BC Electric Ry
Author: 28hogger

I don't know much about this street car or the transit co., but I thought it would be an interesting post. The photo was taken in 1929 while my grandparents and my mother and aunt were on vacation in Canada. The circled people are my family.

Date: 01/26/20 14:28
Re: BC Electric Ry
Author: BobP

Ahh the good ald days.

Date: 01/26/20 21:25
Re: BC Electric Ry
Author: jeffgeldner

Many thanks for sending. The design of the open air cars, such as shown in the photos, were based on a design used for open air cars in Montreal. These cars ran from 1909 to 1950 in Vancouver. The last passenger rail service on the BC Electric ran in 1958.

My grandmother's cousin, Daryl Harvey, was a motorman for the BCER prior to WWII.

Earlier posts on trainorders.com showed British rail cars on demonstration runs on the former BC Electric (by then BC Hydro) between New Westminster and Abbotsford during Expo 86.

The Connecticut Trolley Museum owns and operates Montreal Tramways car #4, which has the same design as the Vancouver car. There is a photo and history of that car on their website www.ct-trolley.org

Jeff Geldner
Sequoia National Park, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.035 seconds