Home Open Account Help 325 users online

Nostalgia & History > WAG Wednesday: Rub-a-dub-dub, 3 Fs...

Date: 02/26/20 02:54
WAG Wednesday: Rub-a-dub-dub, 3 Fs...
Author: santafe199

on local train #162 arriving in Topeka for some station work.

Sorry, there’s no “men in a tub” to be found here. No rhymes, just the facts, ma’am! Back before Santa Fe went to a system-wide 4 digit numbering system for their locals (in the early 1970s?), this was the return leg of local trains #161-162 which worked between Argentine & Emporia across the Eastern Division 1st District. With regular station work at a number of small towns I’m betting this crew was kept pretty busy. In 1968 virtually every little podunk town in Kansas had at least a working grain elevator. And there were sure to be sizable daily set-outs & pick-ups to be made in both Lawrence and Topeka, where regular switch engines were employed.

Bill Gibson, and all of his railfan contemporaries must have gotten sick & tired of the ubiquitous F-units that ran everywhere. I can certainly remember seeing no end of them in my childhood 1960s. But what wouldn’t we ALL give to see another trio of Fs like these barreling down the track today…

1. AT&SF 265C leads local train #162 into Topeka (KS) yard on August 24, 1968.
Original Kodachrome slide by William A. Gibson (WAG) Sr.

Thanks for looking back!
Lance Garrels (santafe199)
Art Gibson (wag216)

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/22 05:42 by santafe199.

Date: 02/26/20 04:09
Re: WAG Wednesday: Rub-a-dub-dub, 3 Fs...
Author: refarkas

Beautiful. Here's another example of what once was seen so often and is now only a cherished memory for a few.
Bob

Date: 02/26/20 05:54
Author: gcm

Can't beat it - Santa Fe, F units and kerosene switchlamps !
​Mr.Gibson Sr hits another homerun.
Gary 

Date: 02/26/20 06:53
Author: PasadenaSub

A true treasure there.  Would piggyback trailer loads be typical of local trains at time, perhaps to be set out and driven off at a pig ramp in the smaller towns? 
Growing up in the 70's and 80's, it's hard for me to picture loaded piggyback flats in anything other than big unit trains, traveling from one big intermodal yard to another.

Great subject and scanning,

Rich

Date: 02/26/20 07:08
Author: santafe199

PasadenaSub Wrote: > ... Would piggyback trailer loads be typical of local trains ...

My read is the trailer loads most likely have some Topeka business destination. They probably came off a main line train down at Emporia, where this local originated.

Lance

Date: 02/26/20 07:54
Author: SP8595

Fantastic scene!

Date: 02/26/20 08:45
Author: Ritzville

Very NICE and interesting shot!! Sure like the F[s!

Larry

Date: 03/02/20 10:28
Author: Gateway97

Classic. Classic.  Classic. Santa Fe had a winner in the warbonnet.  Talk about brand I. D.! They were a clinic on it. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0506 seconds