Home Open Account Help 341 users online

Nostalgia & History > By Train to Jim Thorpe PA

Date: 02/26/20 21:06
By Train to Jim Thorpe PA
Author: aussiehinz

"Way Back Wednesday" On October 13, 1985, the Tri-State Chapter of the NRHS sponsored a round trip rail excursion from Hoboken NJ to Jim Thorpe PA. The train was powered by two Morristown and Erie Alco Century locomotives, with a consist consisting mostly of NJ Transit "Comet I" commuter coaches and a handful of private cars on the tail end. I lived outside Baltimore at the time, and although I could not ride the train, I did make the drive north to Jim Thorpe to catch it at Lehighton and then again as it arrived in town. The M&E's beautiful red Alcos truly brightened up what turned out to be a soggy autumn day in eastern Pennsylvania.

Cheers,
aussiehinz

Date: 02/27/20 04:22
Re: By Train to Jim Thorpe PA
Author: Pattenburg

Here is another view of that excursion taken about a mile out of Palmerton, PA on what I recall was a foggy morning.

Date: 02/27/20 09:36
Author: retcsxcfm

Great color in photo two.

Uncle Joe

Date: 02/27/20 11:13
Author: PasadenaSub

Wow, beautiful with a lot of punch from that red.  Is that a NJT U34CH as the third unit?

Rich

Date: 02/27/20 16:22
Author: lvrrpassenger

THe NJT unit was to provide hotel power. I rode that trip.

Date: 02/27/20 18:02
Author: RuleG

I bought a ticket for that trip for the opportuntity to ride behind Alcos.  Unfortunately, it was one of my less memorable excursions.  Thanks, assiehinz & Pattenburg, for sharing your photos.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0386 seconds