Home Open Account Help 313 users online

Nostalgia & History > Killing time Reviewing Old Slides During the Michigan Lock Down

Date: 03/24/20 08:35
Killing time Reviewing Old Slides During the Michigan Lock Down
Author: andersonb109

With nothing better to do given our fine Governor's lock down, (I was suppose to be on VIA No. 1 as I write this)  I thought I'd start to go through my slide collection. I was late coming to digital having acquired my first camera in 2007.  Prior to 1978 I only used my step dad's 110 camera with poor results. So last night I went through the first tray covering the years 1978-1980. . Each holds about 400 slides. Unfortunately I don't own a scanner. Otherwise I could fill in the entire Michigan "stay at home" order easily.  So this series will be most verbal but hopefully of interest to some. As I didn't develop and interest in steam photography (I didn't even know that steam still existed) until the mid-1990's early shooting was done mostly while riding passenger trains on Amtrak and VIA Rail.

Some immediate observations:  1. Kodachrome and even ASA 400 Ektachrome slides have held up very well over the years. 2.  I have become a much better photographyer. 3. Many photos taken would not be possible today such as lots of dutch door shots, sometimes with the Conductor in the same vestibule not saying a word and  photos taken from locations no longer accessible such as off station platforms. 3. Many photos are of trains no longer with us. 4. Recollection of some passengers long forgotten that I met along the way. 

Trips in these first years included  North Coast Hiawatha (more on that later), Coast Starlight, Southwest Chief, Super Continental, Canadian, Broadway Limited, Rio Grande Zephyr, and San Francisco Zephyr.  The VIA Rail consists were particularly interesting with  four different paint schemes often in one train (CN, CP, VIA Blue, VIA Silver).  Total miles ridden:  35,394 with 8,607 unique miles ( I didn't know what mileage collecting was then but for some reason started to keep track).

During this time one of my most memorable experiences happened. (Apologies if I have sumarized this story here before). In July of 1978 I rode the North Coast Hiawatha from Seattle to Chicago. The consist included two dome coaches and Great Dome Prarie View. At the rear was BN Business car Columbia River. During the station stop at Bilings, MT, I walked back to get a photo of the car. I was approached by a gentleman who looked like a railway worker..dressed in jeans and a flannel shirt. I thought now I'm in trouble! "Hello, I'm Tom Lamphair, President of the Burlington Northern Railroad. I see you are photographing my car." Once determining that I was a passenger on the train I was invited to join him to ride to the next stop. I had never ridden on an open platform before much less at 79MPH. Following the next stop I was offered a choice. Go back to my Amtrak sleeper and have dinner in the Amtrak diner. Or stay for dinner with Mr. Lamphier until the next stop.That was an easy choice. Only three of us. Myself, Mr. Lamphier and his waiter/cook. As I recall we discussed his extensive model railway collection, and train travel in general. I believe we parted company at Glendive, MT. I have several photos of the cars exterior but none inside as I thought that might be rude. And sadly none of Mr. Lamphier.  I read in TRAINS Magazine he died a number of years ago. Certainly a once in a lifetime experience. 

Photo that I had scanned are the Coast Starlight catching the last glint of sun rounding a curve near Cascade Summitt, on the same trip as above and the multi colored Canadian in June, 1979 on Kicking Horse Pass under Mt. Stephen.

Date: 03/24/20 08:51
Re: Killing time Reviewing Old Slides During the Michigan Lock Do
Author: LV95032

Looking at your collection and scanning is an excellent activity when we are told to stay at home :-)

RWJ

Date: 03/24/20 09:38
Author: rrpreservation

Wonderful shots!!! Thank you for spending the time to share them.

Date: 03/24/20 10:12
Author: refarkas

"A+" images with an equally good story!
Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/20 10:13 by refarkas.

Date: 03/24/20 11:04
Author: jcaestecker

What a lucky dude you were to be invited to ride and dine with Mr. L.  Great story.

-John

Date: 03/24/20 14:17
Author: thehighwayman

Hmmmm ... if you can afford to ride Via 1 .... you can afford a scanner ... the software is quick and easy to learn.
An yes, I am an old phart ...

Will MacKenzie
Dundas, ON

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0523 seconds